NEW 1/32 Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero from Hobby Japan

Jan_G

Perhaps, if sales are o.k with the M5 they'll do an earlier version later on?

I do agree an M2/3 is long overdue though! 

Who knows they might even be inclined to do a Val or a Kate in 1/32 to compliment it as well!!!  :D:)

7 hours ago, GrahamF said:

I think the Japanese market is way bigger than we realise so there is room for duplication, plus I think they build them and don't lag the attic with them.

Graham

Preposterous!  Models are meant to be collected and stashed away, not built! That would ruin the future value!  /s

Matt  

Unless you have been to Japan, seen the size of the shops and the number of kits walkng iut doors of all shapes and sizes its hard to comprehend.

Still their fascination with the late Zero is almost like no other models exist.

I thought Hasegawas new series would rapidly expand to cover the M3 and earlier.

10 hours ago, Gerhard said:

And here I sit, not having built a single zero.  I really want to get the Tamiya version, but our economy is so bad, I can hardly afford to buy glue. 

I very nearly had a stash of them years ago and I think really it was Tamiya's first 'super anal' aircraft kit in 1:32 kit, there is a chain of toy shops called Toymaster in the UK and I can remember about 10 of them being sold off in a clearance [ just another kit to them ]for £15 trouble was the next few days when  I had the 'cashola' to get them they'd all gone!

Graham

Re CATC's post. Alas, I haven't seen too many 12 year olds in my LHS. If any. I wish there were, but video gaming has hijacked most, if not all,  youths' interest in scale modelling a long time ago. Models of larger scale especially are marketed toward older and sophisticated hobbyists who mostly started the hobby before sophisticated video arrived on the scene. I guess my point is that buyers of these kits are older, have deeper pockets and the patience to build them. There is zero marketing targeting the young about air/armour etc, kits. Although Anime figures may reintroduce the young to kit building skills...? 

7 hours ago, Dainis said:Re CATC's post. Alas, I haven't seen too many 12 year olds in my LHS. If any. I wish there were, but video gaming has hijacked most, if not all,  youths' interest in scale modelling a long time ago. Models of larger scale especially are marketed toward older and sophisticated hobbyists who mostly started the hobby before sophisticated video arrived on the scene. I guess my point is that buyers of these kits are older, have deeper pockets and the patience to build them. There is zero marketing targeting the young about air/armour etc, kits. Although Anime figures may reintroduce the young to kit building skills...? 

Kids still buy simple kits that they can afford with pocket money. That sector of the industry is booming. There are thousands of such kits for every super-complex multi-part year-long-project large-scale not-pocket-money kit.  Kids are not the problem with the hobby. The hobby is in trouble from grown-ups petulantly losing their minds over the smallest issue. There are so many great kits that were panned by irresponsible idiots, thus affecting sales, whuch in turn affected investment in future projects. 

Radu

I would like to think that is true but I see little evidence of it Radu

young kids are waaay more online than all us older dudes (I am a 'young' 47 lol), and i do wonder why I have never seen any kids on here...

28 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

I would like to think that is true but I see little evidence of it Radu

young kids are waaay more online than all us older dudes (I am a 'young' 47 lol), and i do wonder why I have never seen any kids on here...

You will never see kids here because kids do not want what we are doing here. Kids want a model that can be built in one hour max. They simply do not have the necessary prerequisites to stay on a project like a LSP that takes long time to create. I did the same. I only turned to LSP when I was in in my mid-thirties and I had my own house where I could deidcate enough space to it. :-) 

Kids buy a lot of cheap and simple models, mostly in scale 1/72 and that segment of the market is booming. I go to many model shows and when you see a kid with a model in hand, it is most often a small 1/72 cheap kit, never the BanDai Millenium Falcon. I also witnessed a kid asking for a particular model in our local model shop with the line: "I fly it in World of Warplanes", so computer games do not really keep kids away from the hobby. 

All this handwringing and wailing that "kids will never afford not-pocket-money year-long-project many-hundred-part need-a-large-worktop supermodel, the hobby is dying" mostly comes from adults who simply do not understand that kids do not really want that kind of stuff. Track-day Ferraris do not kill the family car market.

Radu 

It's similar to the model railway market but thankfully the booming Heritage Railway market has pulled in a lot of youngsters so that sector in the UK is pretty stable, I think the link between the real thing and the model is a bit greater with Aircraft if anything that is the problem. the actual flying aircraft are a bit 'look but don't touch' and not very inclusive.

Graham

I'll probably buy one. Must be Japanese in my family tree somewhere. 

Have a Tamiya Type 21 my wife bought new on Amazon for £45, the recent new tool Hasegawa Type 52 bought direct from Japan for about the same all-in and was hoping for a new variant from either firm. Such a fascinating plane. 

Of course I'd rather the Hobby Japan offering was a Type 32 or even a new tool Ki-43 Hayabusa, but it's a new line and that's great! The more the merrier. 

I still buy 1/72 and 1/48 but there's nothing like the heft of 1/32. And there's a heap of untouched Imperial Japanese prop planes that need doing.

Tony