NEW 1/32 Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero from Hobby Japan

Jan_G

i know this is sounding like I'm one of the "not another 109" crew (of which I'm quite disparaging, because there is no *definitive* 109 in large scale of any mark), but I am failing to see what this adds given the Tamiya kits are out there

for a nation which had so many cool aircraft in WWII, I simply cannot understand why large scale is a barren desert

let's hope this is just them dipping their toe in, and that it's merely a prelude to a Val, a Claude, or maybe even a Betty? 

11 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

I can't understand why they're doing an A6M5, when both Hasegawa and Tamiya have already produced fine examples of that version, yet still we wait for an A6M3... 

+1

hopefully they just want to secure some cashflow before they will bring Dinah or Betty. One can dream I know :rolleyes:

As we should all know by now, these companies like to release a staple product guaranteed to attract buyers to either get a new business rolling or fund a lesser known niche item, pet project, or test the waters with a new line. Regardless of how many 109s, Tigers, Mustangs, or A6M5s there are already on the market there is still a huge demand for them (and notice all can be painted with numerous distinctive schemes which helps gain repeat purchases). I know there was some variation in other vehicles but not to the degree the ones that make us go 'oh god not again' do.  The 12yo who sees Midway and decides to build a Zero will buy this over the Tamiya, maybe even a Hasegawa depending on complexity and price. Amazon will certainly list the hell out of it and tons of kids and their moms hang out there. Those who plan to pass on this might instead wait and see what they develop with the profit, if any. That might the exciting new release some of us are looking for.

I understand the appeal of the A6M to the Japanese home market, but as far as being a popular kit for a new company to release, it shouldn’t matter much which version to release.  It’s doubtful that an A6M3 would be a poorer seller than another A6M5; it fact it would likely be a bigger seller.  The 12 year old watching Midway likely won’t care either way, and if they’re sharp they will see that there were none of the Model 52s used at Midway and would want a Model 21 or 22.

Looks quite good and it will sell well in Japan and maybe outside Japan too. The Japanese love for the Zero is only matched by their love for the Yamato. :-) Just have a look at how many kits of the Yamato are out there and more and more keep coming. 

Radu 

I don't see anything in the posted photographs that would make me relinquish my Tamiya 1/32 A6M5 in lieu of that one...

I too would much rather see an A6M3 Model 22, 22a, or 32 than another A6M5 model 52 of any sub-variant.  I'd also love to see a dedicated A6M2-N.  Currently, the only way to get one of those is to get a labor intensive conversion.