Recommended references for A P-51D?

"P-51 experten"....lol, mixed metaphor forgiven.

There are a number of Mustang-obsessed folks here. As you can imagine, there are a dozens of reference books on the Mustang, not all of them good, some very bad. I'm at work at the moment, so don't have them to hand. I can send you a few suggestions later when I get home...but I'm sure others will chime in well before that.

My quick, go-to reference is the MMP (Mushroom Model Publications) book, from their Yellow Series, North American P-51D Mustang. I believe there is a newer larger format version. It has a mixture of period photos, walk-around photos of some meticulous and accurate restorations, and drawings from the maintenance manuals. It usually has enough detail for what I am doing.

I also use a couple of books from Poland, from AJ Press, which are also very useful if used judiciously. There is also a book specifically on building the Tamiya P-51D, with the very creative title of: How to Build Tamiya's 1/32 P-51D Mustang, which features three very nice builds and some tips. It should be available on Amazon.UK, or most hobby shops.

You should also be able to find maintenance manuals and walk-around albums on-line, I'm sure others will have the links. On eBay a few years ago, I managed to buy two RCAF Mustang IV  Maintenance and Engineering Manuals which are my bibles. If there are drawings of systems or components you need I would be happy to scan them. They are basically the USAF Manuals, with extra chapters and appendices for the unique modifications and equipment added by the Canadians.

But to begin with, you can take a look through the Ready for Inspection and Works in Progress here. There were a number of beautiful Tamiya Mustangs completed, and their in-progress threads should be helpful.

Sorry for the rambling reply, I'm sure others will fill you in before too long...and my coffee break is over. :)

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

These first two books are my favourites and they  have a lot of useful information:

https://hlj.com/aero-detail-13-north-american-p-51d-mustang-mdgad13

https://www.amazon.co.uk/P-51-Mustang-Restored-Enthusiast-Color/dp/0879389915

These two books cover "Lil' Margaret" which is a very accurately-restored machine.

Also useful are:

https://www.amazon.com/P-51D-Mustang-Walk-Around-No/dp/0897473604

https://www.amazon.com/Building-P-51-Mustang-Manufacturing-Americans/dp/1580071902

You have to be careful when looking at models on the internet. Some models are superb, but some have errors, and people indiscriminately copy other people's errors to the point that "bad rubbish" has become "agreed consensus". Look at the photos in the books above first. 

Radu

13 hours ago, John1 said:

Chuck540z3 did an awesome P-51 build that I’m  using as a reference.   Not sure if he cross-posted here buts it’s over on ARC.    Just sort by “most viewed” and it’s in the top 10.   

I am having a read through that thread and it is a mine of valuable information! It is wonderful he went back and corrected the thread too when he found things wrong.

13 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

"P-51 experten"....lol, mixed metaphor forgiven.

There are a number of Mustang-obsessed folks here. As you can imagine, there are a dozens of reference books on the Mustang, not all of them good, some very bad. I'm at work at the moment, so don't have them to hand. I can send you a few suggestions later when I get home...but I'm sure others will chime in well before that.

My quick, go-to reference is the MMP (Mushroom Model Publications) book, from their Yellow Series, North American P-51D Mustang. I believe there is a newer larger format version. It has a mixture of period photos, walk-around photos of some meticulous and accurate restorations, and drawings from the maintenance manuals. It usually has enough detail for what I am doing.

I also use a couple of books from Poland, from AJ Press, which are also very useful if used judiciously. There is also a book specifically on building the Tamiya P-51D, with the very creative title of: How to Build Tamiya's 1/32 P-51D Mustang, which features three very nice builds and some tips. It should be available on Amazon.UK, or most hobby shops.

You should also be able to find maintenance manuals and walk-around albums on-line, I'm sure others will have the links. On eBay a few years ago, I managed to buy two RCAF Mustang IV  Maintenance and Engineering Manuals which are my bibles. If there are drawings of systems or components you need I would be happy to scan them. They are basically the USAF Manuals, with extra chapters and appendices for the unique modifications and equipment added by the Canadians.

But to begin with, you can take a look through the Ready for Inspection and Works in Progress here. There were a number of beautiful Tamiya Mustangs completed, and their in-progress threads should be helpful.

Sorry for the rambling reply, I'm sure others will fill you in before too long...and my coffee break is over. :)

Richard

I tried to find the How to Build book, but it seems to be out of print now. Nowhere seems too stock it. I will look at the other recommendations and thank you for the offer of drawings, I will take you up on that :D Also thank you for taking time on your coffee break to reply!

13 hours ago, Radub said:

These first two books are my favourites and they  have a lot of useful information:

https://hlj.com/aero-detail-13-north-american-p-51d-mustang-mdgad13

https://www.amazon.co.uk/P-51-Mustang-Restored-Enthusiast-Color/dp/0879389915

These two books cover "Lil' Margaret" which is a very accurately-restored machine.

Also useful are:

https://www.amazon.com/P-51D-Mustang-Walk-Around-No/dp/0897473604

https://www.amazon.com/Building-P-51-Mustang-Manufacturing-Americans/dp/1580071902

You have to be careful when looking at models on the internet. Some models are superb, but some have errors, and people indiscriminately copy other people's errors to the point that "bad rubbish" has become "agreed consensus". Look at the photos in the books above first. 

Radu

Thank you Radu! I’ll look at getting those books. I’ll also try to avoid the errors that have crept in!

23 minutes ago, curiouslysophie said:

Thank you Radu! I’ll look at getting those books. I’ll also try to avoid the errors that have crept in!

You will enjoy those books, all four of them are "essential". Well, as for errors, one thing to keep an eye on is the wooden boards (bare wood or coated with anti-slip coating) in the cockpit. They only extended back as far as just in front of the seat, there is even a panel line there. I see a lot of models these days with black "boards" extending way too far under the seat. Another thing that I find hard to accept is the quite recent trend to eradicate all panel lines from the wing. The panel lines remained faintly visible and if you look without bias you will see them even in wartime photos. But for some reason, there is a prevailing belief these days that the wings looked more like modern composite wings. If you get a chance to get to Hendon or Duxford and have a look at the Mustangs there - some are restored, some are unrestored/original, some are flyable, and all are the same, they all have panel lines on the wings. Yes, I aree, the rivets were less visible on the Mustang wing (although not compleely gone) but the panel lnes are still there. Check your references, do your own research before you believe the internet on this one. 

Keep an eye on the blocks. The D-5 had some features that were quite different from the subsequent versions, which are very obvious (immediately ignore those who say it was just the "fillet" - that is an instant "test of competence" :-) ). From the D-10 onwards, the differences were less "dramatic". Unfortunately, no reference in print explains the differences between the blocks. 

Radu 

6 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

I suggest deciding on which dash number you want to model

and focus on that. The Mustang was quite evolutionary.

Have fun !

Still choosing that one! There is a lot of variation out there!

Fun is the way to go, no point getting too stressed out building.

5 hours ago, Radub said:

You will enjoy those books, all four of them are "essential". Well, as for errors, one thing to keep an eye on is the wooden boards (bare wood or coated with anti-slip coating) in the cockpit. They only extended back as far as just in front of the seat, there is even a panel line there. I see a lot of models these days with black "boards" extending way too far under the seat. Another thing that I find hard to accept is the quite recent trend to eradicate all panel lines from the wing. The panel lines remained faintly visible and if you look without bias you will see them even in wartime photos. But for some reason, there is a prevailing belief these days that the wings looked more like modern composite wings. If you get a chance to get to Hendon or Duxford and have a look at the Mustangs there - some are restored, some are unrestored/original, some are flyable, and all are the same, they all have panel lines on the wings. Yes, I aree, the rivets were less visible on the Mustang wing (although not compleely gone) but the panel lnes are still there. Check your references, do your own research before you believe the internet on this one. 

Keep an eye on the blocks. The D-5 had some features that were quite different from the subsequent versions, which are very obvious (immediately ignore those who say it was just the "fillet" - that is an instant "test of competence" :-) ). From the D-10 onwards, the differences were less "dramatic". Unfortunately, no reference in print explains the differences between the blocks. 

Radu 

Thanks for the hint on the floor panels. I have the wood floor decals that came with the HGW belts and they seem to stop where you said. I plan on keeping the rivet and panel detail on the wings and using a very subtle wash on them as they are more visually interesting. I’m not too far from Duxford, I’ve been meaning to go for a while. I’m not building a specific plane, going my usual ‘historically plausible’ route.

Thank you for all the help though! Just got to finish the Arado 234 and wait for the aftermarket bits to show up for it!

5 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

What Radu says.  You can also use this:

s-l1600.jpg

or this:

s-l1600.png

This was the Primary Source I used for the Tamiya Mustang in my Signature

Best of luck.

Sincerely,

Mark

Ooh, they look good! Your build is a beautiful Mustang. Thanks for the advice :) 

Building the P-51 Mustang: The Story of Manufacturing North American's Legendary WWII Fighter in Original Photos

A truly awesome book (and very reasonably priced) about the full production history of the P-51.   Hundreds of crystal clear pics taken by NAA at the factory and detailed information about the engineering and design of this classic aircraft.