Tamiya P-51D "Diablo"

WasatchAviator

9 minutes ago, WasatchAviator said:

Critique is welcome. Looking for last minute changes before I enter it into competition this weekend. 

Having entered in, and subbed as a judge in IPMS events take a good look at the the model from a direct 12:00 position and carefully look at the alignment of the:

- gear - I always got docked for having the gear different distance from the leading edge when looking from above like on the mains of a tail dragger 

- tires/wheels - more critical than I thought and can really knock a model out of competition right away with a good field of models entered  

- wings 

- tail plane

- tail plane in relation to the wings - a dead giveaway and another pretty much instant knock out if off in relation to each other.

Ive found some of the least important factors in competition are detail in accuracy for a specific version, ultra/super detailing of various open compartments (but these can add to an overall look if well done), but the most important ones are sometimes the ones like above that we may take for granted.

I saw a glorious looking F-15 in competition at the US Nationals back in 2011 (near perfect in execution) but it never won a thing as I looked at it later and it had one main wheel misaligned in relation to the other one. Even though it was one of, if not the nicest looking jet model there, It was knocked out in the very first round of judging, as there were 10 or more really well done jets in the class. 

23 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Having entered in, and subbed as a judge in IPMS events take a good look at the the model from a direct 12:00 position and carefully look at the alignment of the:

- gear - I always got docked for having the gear different distance from the leading edge when looking from above like on the mains of a tail dragger 

- tires/wheels - more critical than I thought and can really knock a model out of competition right away with a good field of models entered  

- wings 

- tail plane

- tail plane in relation to the wings - a dead giveaway and another pretty much instant knock out if off in relation to each other.

Ive found some of the least important factors in competition are detail in accuracy for a specific version, ultra/super detailing of various open compartments (but these can add to an overall look if well done), but the most important ones are sometimes the ones like above that we may take for granted.

I saw a glorious looking F-15 in competition at the US Nationals back in 2011 (near perfect in execution) but it never won a thing as I looked at it later and it had one main wheel misaligned in relation to the other one. Even though it was one of, if not the nicest looking jet model there, It was knocked out in the very first round of judging, as there were 10 or more really well done jets in the class. 

Thanks for this reminder too. Sometimes it's the basic skills that will eliminate a model. Don't ask me how I know...;)

Richard