Purists, look away now! Revell P-51B

mgbooyv8

Hi guys,

This one is a quickie.

When I was visiting my modelling friend Henk, I noticed that old Revell Mustang box on top of his cabinet.

This old Revell P-51B had already been started as part of a Dutch IPMS region display table of a few years ago, dedicated to the Mustang.

It stalled after the fuselage was put together.

Henk said: "You can have it, you can make something of it!"

And so I did. I had never build it and was curious how it would look like OOB. ;)

And yes, all the rivets would be retained, also on the wing! B)

Sometimes, I like to build an old kit, faults and all, to see what it looks like with current build methods.

It is also relaxing, just slapping a kit together without correcting it. :P

The fuselage needed its fair share of filler at the lower side. I used a cheap 2-pack epoxy filler for that, because it does not shrink.

Lost rivets were re-instated with Micro Mark rivet decal.

The only mods I did was extending the cockpit floor and closing the radiator exhaust area off to avoid see-through effects and interesting light effects into the radiator intake.

The horrid seat was camouflaged with seatbelts from a very old Eduard set and a new gunsight was put on the glare shield.

The fit of wings and tailplanes was fair.

The fit of the windscreen was bad. I used Revell UV hardening glue to fix it and then filled the gaps with Micro Kristal Kleer.

The canopy framing was hand painted.

The decals of this American boxing were very good: thin and opaque, even the white stripes!

They conformed very well over the rivets using DACO Red decal solvent.

And here it is.

As I said in the title: purists, look away! :D

48776579272_334b0a0d5a_b.jpg

48776040633_1df1234c7a_b.jpg

48776038293_c940e9f8a7_b.jpg

48776576612_f9e541cdcc_b.jpg

48776575582_2b9b0a4881_b.jpg

The verdict?

It is clear why a new P-51B model is needed,

The most obvious faults are the wheels, the nose, the rivets on the wing, the lack of guns and chute ejector ports, 

the lack of the oil cooler outlet flap and the lack of external fuel tanks. Ofcourse there is more...:lol:

The empty pylons are in the kit, but I did not use them, they were not indicated in the instructions ;)

With current techniques and build experience, this kit builds into a nice model for on the shelf, just not a very accurate one.

If you have one, just build it OOB as a nostalgia kit.

Cheers,

Peter

I like it, too.  I agree that old kits can be fun and it shows how far kits have come.   I also agree that a new P-51B is needed.  I personally prefer the look of the original plane, so I always prefer high back Spitfires, Thunderbolts and Mustangs.

Nice work, :bow:

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55