Aftermarket for Monogram's B-17?

LSP_Kevin

This post is somewhat ironic given the announcement and imminent arrival of the new HK Models kit, but only 2 weeks prior to that news, I was gifted an old example of the original Monogram kit. Not being one to waste a kit (or look a gift horse in the mouth), I'm certainly considering building it, but being such an old kit, it could obviously do with a bit of dressing up. So, what's available and/or recommended for it?

Kev

28 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

True Details did some resin interior stuff for it that was no better than the Monogram parts, and in some cases worse.  I think they did vacuform clear for it as well.  

It sounds like not much was really ever done for this kit, despite its longevity and relative popularity. I may just build it OOB as a shelf queen and wait for the HK kit to build something more definitive.

Kev

54 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

It sounds like not much was really ever done for this kit, despite its longevity and relative popularity.

Lots of stuff for Monogram B-17 here.........plus update on 1/32 B-26 Marauder!

BTW, do you like PE?

Cheers,

D.B.

32 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Lots of stuff for Monogram B-17 here.........plus update on 1/32 B-26 Marauder!

BTW, do you like PE?

Cheers,

D.B.

PE is not my favourite thing ever, but where it's useful or better than the kit parts, I don't mind using it.

Kev

21 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

Of course, Kevin....

....if you want to go off the deep end....

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=221261&page=1

It might cut into your movie time...lol

Thanks, Gaz. As it happens, the modeller in that build thread was building the Revell B-17F kit, which is actually an entirely different kit to Monogram's B-17G. Looks like the guy did some pretty good work, though.

Kev

Eduard does, or at least did, a ton of stuff for the kit, kev. ray sent me a bunch a couple of years ago. i also have all of the td resin sets for it. i also recall that brassin has nice engines and wheels/tires. then don't forget a pile of master .50 cal. barrels as well. decals are reasonably plentiful too.

Since nothing from the interior is visible once done i would skip all of that. I built mine OOB and it looks fine. The Only thing i would get are a bunch of brass barrels. And probably the mentionned flexible belts. On my b-25 i got the eduard pe that had barrels and the belts but pe barrels are a pita to roll

9 minutes ago, Neo said:

Since nothing from the interior is visible once done i would skip all of that. I built mine OOB and it looks fine. The Only thing i would get are a bunch of brass barrels. And probably the mentionned flexible belts. On my b-25 i got the eduard pe that had barrels and the belts but pe barrels are a pita to roll

I agree,  there's not much to see through the windows once it's all closed up.

Thanks, fellas. Out of box is looking like the way to go. Or close to it, anyway. I'll definitely need new decals or paint masks, and I'll hunt around for whatever else I can find on the cheap (wheels, barrels, external stuff). Now I just have to decide if it's worth rescribing it!

Kev