Revel 1/32 Tornado GR1 - FINISHED

Stokey Pete

And so it begins.

FAD3A2C0-37F7-4F51-8D29-49E7CEAC6D0F_zps

I've made a couple of executive decisions about what direction i wish this kit to take. Given the amount of resin with the cockpit, exhausts, and the other pairs of Storm Shadow/Alarms, I think I'm going to build this as an inflight display. I also think that way will also show off the payload a lot better than if it's sat on the deck.

I'm not 100% certain on how the resin load will compare to the kit bits I've scavenged. With that in mind, the kit parts will be loaded on inboard racks to be on show less than their (probably more accurate and better looking) resin buddies.

These choices will reflect a better display, and will allow me more time to work on a seriously worn paint job. This particular airframe belongs to the British Aerospace factory at Warton UK, for testing and evaluation use. I don't know much more history beyond that, or if it's still in use. 

Fingers crossed, I hit no major stumbling blocks and will have it completed by the end of the GB year. 

Edited by Stokey Pete

In between the entertaining of an 18 month old toddler, and editing a wedding I photographed at the weekend (day job). I managed to grab a couple of hours worth of dry fitting with the Aires cockpit. Apart from the instructions being a bit unclear, and my subsequent removal of too much of the instrument coaming (to be filled and shaped later), it's pretty much fallen together. I suspect made easier with the lack of nose gear box to cause conflict, but, gear up display, no need for the undercarriage bays. Result.1E457873-621D-477F-B5DC-EE1F2C4381DD_zps

When it has some paint on, I'll get the macro lens out and get some better images. iPhone shots don't do the detail in this cockpit justice. 

2 minutes ago, Stevepd said:

Hi Pete better photo’s would be most welcome. As you’ve mentioned and having just finished mine the pit/nose wheel well need to be adjusted, so be aware of dry fitting before you button her up.

Steve.

Steve.

Luckily for me, I'm building my wheels up for an in-flight display. I'm not even going to bother putting the nose bay in which has made fitting ridiculously easy. Also it's meant that the casting block for the tub can stay, giving me added nose weight for what is a hefty tail sitter. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I have actually been working on this one bit by bit. A grumpy toddler sitting on ones shoulders of an evening tends to curtail ones modelling activity. The cockpit is installed, no seats yet. It's not painted as cleanly as I would normally, owing to having aircrew in and a closed canopy. The majority of the airframe sub assemblies are built and ready for paint. I'm going to do a few of the paint jobs before installing them, the vertical and horizontal stabilisers, and the nose cone. I think it'll make painting a wrap around camo' a bit easier. Anyway, enough waffle. Here's where I'm at. Hopefully (child permitting), It'll be in the paint shop sometime at the weekend/next week at some point.

49090906718_72efa8e910_k.jpg1/32 Tornado GR1 by pete bland, on Flickr

49091621417_98be5d9160_k.jpg1/32 Tornado GR1 by pete bland, on Flickr
49090907763_020c85d80d_k.jpg1/32 Tornado GR1 by pete bland, on Flickr

49090907148_b16b8d0b1e_k.jpg1/32 Tornado GR1 by pete bland, on Flickr

49091621572_bc9da20699_k.jpg1/32 Tornado GR1 by pete bland, on Flickr

Edited by Stokey Pete

Here's a couple of frames from the sortie my dad was lucky enough to be on board with, that's provided the inspiration for the build. 

I can afford to be quite sloppy with paint and fading/weathering, the airframe belongs/belonged to BAe systems and as you can see, looks quite old and battered.

49091855766_a6db50e28d_k.jpgIMG_0091 by pete bland, on Flickr

49091855716_8c1464d24f_c.jpgGR 1 f by pete bland, on Flickr

And here's the loadout in its plastic form. Sadly, I couldn't source any more than 2 of the resin Storm Shadow missiles so I've had to borrow them from a Typhoon kit. They're poorly shaped compared to the resin offerings, but I'll suffer the mis-shape. The resin ones may be too heavy to hang from the wings with the 2 ALARM missiles as well.

49091409548_ddf40aab77_k.jpg72446933_2806027906074490_7795108077346226176_n by pete bland, on Flickr

Thanks all, I just hope with a decent polishing session, that I'll still be able to see some of the detail once it's buttoned up. 

For now though, it's a marathon sanding and filling session. 

Then work out how to weather the paint in such a way that the 2 colours almost blend together.

• 3 weeks later...

And so the painting marathon begins. I've started out with a very thinned down coat of Mr Hobby Aqueous Dark sea grey and Dark Green. Sprayed at low pressure, and in a totally random mottled pattern. I'll highlight and shadow over the mottling to give the colours some depth. Panel line post shading will follow that, along with random colour differences used to touch up busy areas. 

49179813841_baef1a1d18_b.jpg

Edited by Stokey Pete

1 hour ago, Collin said:

Pete:

Im also planning an in-flight build of this kit. OOB is my plan except a 3xALARM missile fit on the belly 

how do the kit doors fit in the closed position?  Any issues?

Cheers

Collin

The nose doors are fine, fit like a glove. The main U/c doors are pretty poor. Take the raised detail off the inside of them, and thin the detail where the doors meet the bays. I had to glue a couple of tabs inside as well to assist with locating, to make sure they didn't sink too far into the u/c bays.