Revel 1/32 Tornado GR1 - FINISHED

Stokey Pete

Here's the state of play as the year draws to a close. I had hoped to get this finished before now, but circumstance and external factors have ended that proposition.

For those interested, it's had a thin coat of me surfacer as a primer. 

I've used a combination of AK Real colours, Vallejo Model Air, Hataka, and Tamiya acrylics. All being varying shades of Dark sea grey, and dark green. 

A coat of future to protect the paint, before using some AK Interactive filters to bring out some hues and tones. 

Another coat of future applied before using a very dark brown pin wash for the panel lines. 

A final coat of future to protect all of that before I start to decal the airframe, and apply some streaking and dirtying pastels around the tail. 

I'm waiting on some custom decals for the Storm Shadow and ALARM missiles, hopefully delivered before the week is out. 

Hope you like the look of it as much as I do. 

49306213788_7a522cddce_b.jpg

Edited by Stokey Pete

It's nearly there!

I've the small matter of building and attaching the fins for the cruise missiles, and adding the metallic coloured parts (aerials, exhausts,etc). I'm also going to spray a heavily thinned coat of each base coat colour over the decals to simulate some fading. They look far too new and shiny at present. 

The decals for the missiles were all drawn and printed by me. Up close, they're not the greatest, but from a short distance, they work well enough for me. 

A little bit of streaking and dirtying the underside white, and I'm ready to seal it all in a matt coat and call it done. 

49330751771_c85672516c_b.jpg

49330973642_e1ecc641e5_b.jpg

Edited by Stokey Pete

Here's a few iPhone snaps to enjoy until I get the chance to get my backdrops and lighting setups out to play. 

Here's the original concept image.

IMG_0091

Here's my take on it.

49358457551_e2c45f0256_b.jpg

49358457301_09c4267cbf_b.jpg

49358661217_c111c4d4f5_b.jpg

49358458086_b4e2f9da03_b.jpg

There are several areas in which I've had to use a little artistic licence to get something similar in look to the photo.

The underside of the nose section has no panel detail at all, I scribed a few panels in to simply liven it up, none of it is terribly accurate, scribing isn't a strong point of mine.

The Storm Shadow Missiles are 2 different pairs, one FlightPath, one from the new KH Mirage 2000 kit. The markings for them, non-existent so I made some from what little I could glean from the images. They're not placed in identical positions owing to the 2 different manufacturers and their shape differences. Their positioning is an educated guesstimate.

The ALARM missiles got the same treatment, home made decals and a few band decals scrounged from old kits. They're not positioned on the weapons rails in the exact position shown in the photo. I couldn't work out if there was an adapter that makes them sit further away from the Storm Shadows. Artistic licence used here.

The Tail number decal on the horizontal stabiliser is home made, the font isn't 100% accurate but does the job for me. 

There's a few lumps n bumps missing in the kit that appear to be attached to the airframe in the photo, but I'm no scratchbuilder so they'll be staying off. Likewise, the absence of 'slime lights'.

I now have one final job to do, which is to decide how I'm going to mount it into an inflight display. At the moment, I'm leaning towards some clear Perspex sheet at either end, shaped to fit the contours of the nose and tail, and embed them into a wooden base. Alternatively, I'll give it some clear rod 'legs'.

Overall, the kit was a bit of a dog with regards its fit. many bits were warped/misshaped, and have had countless bits of brace work to render a shape that at least looks like a Tornado. 

Having now felt the weight of it with all its armament hanging, I'm so glad I chose an inflight display. I seriously doubt even the metal gear would support the weight of that little lot. The decals were awful, and I have considerable silvering, even given numerous cuts, and generous applications of microsol.

Nice one, Centurion! Like it, like it!!  Those inner ALARM pylons had me stumped, the adapter tips over at about 45 degrees, so the fins end up pretty much vertical/horizontal. The inner missiles are a few inches, may be 12 or 18,  further forwards than the outer ones, and I have not yet been able to track down some real adapters to check. I wonder if RAF Stafford have a pair, perhaps? Anyway, cracking model,  very impressive! 

9 hours ago, wunwinglow said:

Nice one, Centurion! Like it, like it!!  Those inner ALARM pylons had me stumped, the adapter tips over at about 45 degrees, so the fins end up pretty much vertical/horizontal. The inner missiles are a few inches, may be 12 or 18,  further forwards than the outer ones, and I have not yet been able to track down some real adapters to check. I wonder if RAF Stafford have a pair, perhaps? Anyway, cracking model,  very impressive! 

Thank you for the kind words. I'm super pleased with how it's turned out. Even more so given that my usual output speed is far longer than this took me to complete. 

I tried to track down adapters too, I got in touch with Bae Systems at Warton, they'd disposed of theirs along with the airframe many years ago. I tracked the airframe down to a museum in Yorkshire, they didn't keep the rails or adapters either. 

Being a terrible scratchbuilder, I opted for the simple way out and mounted them as they came, albeit incorrectly. I had just enough clearance with the missile fins to sit them between the wing and the Storm Shadows. 

2 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

Thank you for the kind words. I'm super pleased with how it's turned out. Even more so given that my usual output speed is far longer than this took me to complete. 

I tried to track down adapters too, I got in touch with Bae Systems at Warton, they'd disposed of theirs along with the airframe many years ago. I tracked the airframe down to a museum in Yorkshire, they didn't keep the rails or adapters either. 

Being a terrible scratchbuilder, I opted for the simple way out and mounted them as they came, albeit incorrectly. I had just enough clearance with the missile fins to sit them between the wing and the Storm Shadows. 

I must have looked at hundreds and hundreds of Tornado pics, but of course the aircraft is so busy underneath, no picture I have found shoes the ALARM inner adapter clearly! None!! Not one! 

I watched you build and can really appreciate all the work you put into it :D What an awesome outcome! You definitely captured the photo, plus your pilots have life to them. Really get the impression they’re looking to the side at something. Your paint job is one of the best I’ve seen on a tornado here. Well done across the board.