Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair - Done!

Brett M

Hey all. First work in progress on this site and first 1/32 aircraft. I've been wanting to build a Corsair for a long while, but 1/48 (my usual for aircraft) just wasn't big enough for the detail I'd like to add, and hopefully not screw up. I've been reading all the builds and RFI's on here that I can find and there are is some beautiful work here to compete against (;)). Hopefully I won't come off as a complete newb, but this will be my first WW2 aircraft, so hopefully you'll work with me. This won't be quick, since I have a day job ha! Link to some of my work for those of you that might not venture to non aircraft stuff.....

So, Tamiya's kit to start, beautiful as usual from them. Vector Resin's intake flaps and engine upgrade parts. Barracuda cockpit stencils (I need better eyes for these!). Dana Bell's Birdcage Corsair book (and I've noticed Dana posts here, that's got to be helpful!. I'm hunting for HGW seatbelt's but so far, no luck on the suppliers I usually turn to. If anyone has a lead on where I can pick those up, I'd appreciate it. I'm also leaning towards using MRP paints for the first time, but I'm not really positive which colors I'll need. I'm going to plan on a two color bird, blue grey upper and light grey lower. Might go with Montex masks, or possible the HGW wet transfers...decisions to be made. 

Here are my selections for the main colors that I'll need to order. Please let me know if I'm totally wrong!

Interior

MRP 131 US Interior Green

MRP 229 Dark Dull Green

For the rest of the interior, I'll be using my existing supplies. 

Exterior

MRP 130 Salmon Pink Primer for the cowling (sorta interior?)

MRP 133 Blue Grey

MRP 134 Light Grey

And of course, mandatory pictures so I'm not boring everyone!

The supplies, for now

48771724673_9f3c8e0c72_b.jpg

The work shop (everything else in cabinets)

48772064391_258a8662fb_b.jpg

The overview

48771724383_aa78b04707_b.jpg

And the other kits my wife said I should have built before buying the Corsair last week:ph34r:

48772064311_6f2904ef7f_b.jpg

Hopefully I'll actually get some bench time tomorrow. Today has been "drill a 4 inch hole in your houses foundation day." Super not exciting.

Thanks for looking, chime in and tell me where I'm off, nuts, or should go back to scifi lol

Brett

Edited by Brett M
So tired, I couldn't even spell Corsair right in the title!

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Looking good! Tamiyas Corsiars are some of the best kits on the planet in any scale.

Looking forward to seeing progress!

Figured I should at least post some progress, rather than box photos and questions......

There, I've started!

48772588586_3a785b6f9f_b.jpg

;)

9 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

You're fine Brett, being nuts is sort of a requirement here  :wacko:

Take your sweet time  :popcorn:

Thanks Mike!

8 hours ago, MikeC said:

Welcome to LSP, and what an LSP to start with.  Look forward to seeing more.

Thanks Mike #2!

4 hours ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Welcome to the forum Brett! :post1:

You've chosen and excellent kit! 

I built it some time ago and enjoyed every moment of it!

Thanks Spyro. I'm looking forward to it

1 hour ago, RonGUSA said:

Hey Brett 

If I'm not mistaken the inside of the tail wheel area should be salmon primer also on the bird cage.

Ron G 

Thanks Ron, that's the type of information I'm looking for. I appreciate it :) 

So, I've found most of the main colors I'd listed above, but no one seems to have US Interior Green in stock (at least in MRP). I read earlier that a 2 parts Tamiya XF-3 Flat Yellow and 1 part XF-5 Tamiya Flat green are a good match. Can anyone comment on that mix? Tamiya I can find easily (already had the flat green) so if need be, I'll go that route.

Thanks all, looking forward to sharing more soon. 

Brett

Brett,

Great choice of kits, the Tamiya Corsair is one of the best kits I have ever built.

Curious, what were you going to paint US interior green?

The cockpit of the Birdcage Corsairs were Dark Dull Green. The tail wheel bay was salmon pink & the main gear bays were either lower color or salmon as well.

And, the MRP paints are great to use. Good choice.

Larry

Edited by aircare84

2 hours ago, aircare84 said:

Brett,

Great choice of kits, the Tamiya Corsair is one of the best kits I have ever built.

Curious, what were you going to paint US interior green?

The cockpit of the Birdcage Corsairs were Dark Dull Green. The tail wheel bay was salmon pink & the main gear bays were either lower color or salmon as well.

And, the MRP paints are great to use. Good choice.

Larry

Thanks Larry, that helps. I was under the impression that both greens were used in the cockpit, but if not, that solves the paint issue! Thanks for the info on other areas and the colors that they would have been painted, info to retain. :) 

And, your Daphne C is what I aiming for, beautifully done!

Edited by Brett M

On 9/23/2019 at 12:22 AM, curiouslysophie said:

Looking forward to following this one. This is a kit I definitely want to get at some point. Need some Pacific planes in my stash!

On 9/23/2019 at 2:33 AM, misha71 said:

Good luck

Thanks! 

MRP paints should be here tomorrow so I can finally get moving on the cockpit. All I've done so far is clean up parts to get them ready for paint....not very exciting!

Finally, a bit of progress to show. MRP paints showed up (though the blue grey looks awfully grey, I'll have to double check it). I was able to start getting paint onto the cockpit and instrument panels. 

Not a huge jump, but progress nonetheless. 

48795779366_f626fd6268_b.jpg

48795422288_28d248d5dd_b.jpg

48795918317_9c9e6ba230_b.jpg

48795422173_569312fd9d_b.jpg

Next steps, keep working on painting and adding the small cockpit parts, then I'll shoot it all with some X-22 and see how hard those Barracuda decals are to get in place!

Comments welcome, let me know if I'm totally making a mess! 

Brett

Edited by Brett M