Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair - Done!

Brett M

3 hours ago, aircare84 said:

The white tape on the wings was to seal the wing fuel cells, just like the white tape you see on the fuselage of many of the F4-U's.

Thanks! Would it be safe to assume if the fuselage had tape, the wings would as well?

Edited by Brett M

Question to the masses: 

What would you use for the spark plug wires on this? I have copper wire, but it's stiff. Solder would work, but I don't have anything small enough on hand, but can order.  Any suggestions or favorites you use?

Beautiful Engine!  Very nice.

1 hour ago, Brett M said:

Question to the masses: 

What would you use for the spark plug wires on this? I have copper wire, but it's stiff. Solder would work, but I don't have anything small enough on hand, but can order.  Any suggestions or favorites you use?

For the spark plug wires, my subject had black ones, so I used thin electrical wire as shown below.  It also comes in a variety of other colors if you want something other than black.  Strip the insulation off both ends and push into place after you drill holes.  I bent the ends of the wire at an angle, so glue was not required.

dssFUe.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

3 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

Beautiful Engine!  Very nice.

For the spark plug wires, my subject had black ones, so I used thin electrical wire as shown below.  It also comes in a variety of other colors if you want something other than black.  Strip the insulation off both ends and push into place after you drill holes.  I bent the ends of the wire at an angle, so glue was not required.

dssFUe.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck! I don't suppose that is CAT5 wire by chance? Grabbing some from the IT brother later today to see if it'll work....

37 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

Sorry, no idea.  I just went to an electronics supply store and bought a bunch of wiring that I thought would work.  26 Gauge comes to mind (?)

Cheers,

Chuck

And I think CAT5 uses something close to 26 gauge, so that should work! 

Thanks again.

Brett

21 hours ago, Brett M said:

Thanks! Would it be safe to assume if the fuselage had tape, the wings would as well?

Brett,

Unfortunately, no.

There are photos with either, none & both.

Depended on the particular aircraft where they had leaks.

You would have to verify with photos.

Larry

6 hours ago, Brett M said:

Question to the masses: 

Brett,

I use various small gauge wire, 22, 24, 28, etc. that I strip off the outer sheathing & use the wire strands. 

xouwR9i.jpg

So, here's the wire I've found (though Kev, lead wire sounds MUCH more workable, I'll be looking for that tomorrow). I was going to try and use the kit ignition ring, but I couldn't get a drill bit started in each spot for a wire without messing it up. So, Vector resin ignition ring to the rescue, AND it has pre drilled holes that just need to be deepened to better accept a wire. I also added wire off of both generators/magnetos/distributor/??? which you can see in light grey. 

I'll drill out each hole on the ring tomorrow, then paint it up in preparation for wiring and install. I hope. Maybe? Help?!

Edit: looks like a trip to Fish Tech is in my plans tomorrow. .015 and .025 lead wire in stock.

49495446267_567c25aeba_c.jpg 

Edited by Brett M