Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair - Done!

Brett M

Awesome work Brett, your Corsair is looking amazing!! I've used the HGW wet transfera on a couple of HpH builds with reasonable success but I've always found the carrier glue to be an absolute pain. Also had some on my Ta-154 that were a little out of register which was a little  annoying! They definitely have there benifets but theybare pretty tricky to use that's for sure.

Regards. Andy 

7 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Awesome work Brett, your Corsair is looking amazing!! I've used the HGW wet transfera on a couple of HpH builds with reasonable success but I've always found the carrier glue to be an absolute pain. Also had some on my Ta-154 that were a little out of register which was a little  annoying! They definitely have there benifets but theybare pretty tricky to use that's for sure.

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy! Any tips on what you did with the carrier glue I could use?

Brett

4 hours ago, Brett M said:

Thanks Andy! Any tips on what you did with the carrier glue I could use?

Brett

Hi Brett, beautiful build all around.  I have this kit and following your build has been very educational (as well as a pleasure)!  

I have read that warm water gently rubbed on with a Q-Tip removes the carrier glue remnants.  I have just started building the HGW Bf 109 E-7 Limited Edition that I purchased late last year and will be using HGW's wet transfers for the first time; so I have been reading a lot about using them successfully.   

13 hours ago, Uncarina said:

I agree with Reuben! Chipped paint is tricky, but you’ve made it look authentic in your build. It’s a blast seeing this take shape, and with weathering  it will look even more real.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom!

On 2/25/2020 at 7:25 AM, Reuben L. Hernandez said:

Freaking great work Brett and very inspiration (maybe now I'll get of my back side and build one of mine now? :rolleyes:), love the colors and chipping effects, they look very convincing. Cant wait to see the finish product, keep up the great work!

Reuben

Thanks Reuben, definitely share your build if you start it!

On 2/25/2020 at 3:01 AM, The Madhatter said:

Just caught up with this build and mate, what you've done is exceptional!! Great paint work. Something I personally struggle with for sure

The weathering is spot on!

Looking forward to the beauty shots 

Thanks Si! Hoping to dirty it up now....just a few more layers (and weeks) to go :)

On 2/23/2020 at 7:45 AM, FunkyZeit said:

absolute beauty!

I also had the same sentiment putting the cowl on the engine =)

Justin

Thanks! Wish I could have left it off....I had to do some not so Tamiya approved mods to get it mounted. Made some mistake, somewhere!

On 2/23/2020 at 5:01 AM, monthebiff said:

Hi Brett, I used warm water with a swab but some of it is pretty stubborn, just go gently!

Regards Andy 

Thanks Andy, it definitely took a bit to work over those spots. 

On 2/23/2020 at 2:31 AM, Greif8 said:

Hi Brett, beautiful build all around.  I have this kit and following your build has been very educational (as well as a pleasure)!  

I have read that warm water gently rubbed on with a Q-Tip removes the carrier glue remnants.  I have just started building the HGW Bf 109 E-7 Limited Edition that I purchased late last year and will be using HGW's wet transfers for the first time; so I have been reading a lot about using them successfully.   

Thanks Grief! My last tip for HGW......let them soak a long time. They seemed to leave less residue the longer you let them pull up water. I even start removing the backing paper, dipping them again and then dragging them over a paper towel, which helped and didn't seem to reduce their adhesion :)

So, tonight's......decals are all applied, other than to the landing gear doors, which I haven't finished painting :blush: I think she's looking pretty snazzy now, so next step will be another clear coat to seal everything up and hopefully, hide the carrier film edges on any decals I couldn't find an edge on. I'm also going to try and fill rivets/fastners that take a lot of abuse with aluminum paint, to hopefully show more wear. Something I snagged from Doog…..

Anyway, everyone likes pictures......so, here we are as of this evening. Suggestions, tips, critiques, random thoughts of the day....all are welcome.

49590436181_b535b11212_b.jpg

49590447206_af28bd7228_b.jpg

49590474451_12e7569b91_b.jpg

49590676757_c4e1164a03_b.jpg 

49590436216_c242e6ff0e_b.jpg 

Edited by Brett M
Hitting enter too quickly.....posted before I was ready!

Looking awesome Brett, the chipping and fading looks exceptionally nice. 

I tried two of the placard wet transfers on the BF 109 E-7 build I am doing and they fell apart after soaking about 20 seconds (which HGW recommends).  I ended up using a couple of placards fron an Airscale sheet I have.  Needless to say this experience is not giving me confidence for the future.  I have some masks and normal decals as backups though.

5 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Looking awesome Brett, the chipping and fading looks exceptionally nice. 

I tried two of the placard wet transfers on the BF 109 E-7 build I am doing and they fell apart after soaking about 20 seconds (which HGW recommends).  I ended up using a couple of placards fron an Airscale sheet I have.  Needless to say this experience is not giving me confidence for the future.  I have some masks and normal decals as backups though.

That’s odd. None of mine had any issues like that. I would even say they were tough, with me abusing them.

Is it an old sheet?

25 minutes ago, Brett M said:

That’s odd. None of mine had any issues like that. I would even say they were tough, with me abusing them.

Is it an old sheet?

I don't think the sheet is old.  The kit is HGW's BF109 E-7 Trop Limited Edition that they released late last year.