Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair - Done!

Brett M

Well, only three weeks with no updates, but I have been doing work! Just not as much as I'd like to have. 

Fuselage is together, horizontal stabilizers on, spine on. I've concentrated on on the wheel wells primarily.

Overall shot of progress (not glued together yet)

49125273523_ef7037d736_c.jpg

49125273493_9627e0647b_c.jpg

Riveting and seam smoothing.....I hate riveting, I don't think I do a good job with it. 

49125949372_6552ff1f16_c.jpg

Wheel wells. MRP Light Grey followed by some minor chipping done with Tamiya XF-4 and an oil wash for "dirt"

49125949302_e2c513606f_c.jpg

49125763556_e36270115b_c.jpg

49125763781_f0853e123a_c.jpg

And finally, oil coolers in progress.

49125949327_3920e49520_c.jpg

Comments, critiques, suggestions.....all are welcome!

Brett

Edited by Brett M

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 9:40 AM, Thunnus said:

Excellent work on the birdcage Corsair.  It reminds me to get re-started on my own Corsair, which I've not worked on since June! :wacko:  It's just about at the same stage as your build now.

On 11/26/2019 at 1:24 PM, curiouslysophie said:

Stunning work Brett!! Absolutely love it :) I really must get one of these kits. 

On 11/26/2019 at 2:07 PM, monthebiff said:

What a great build Brett, loving this one.

Regards. Andy 

Thanks everyone! 

Not an update this time, but a question. Step 67 in the instructions say NOT to glue the wing spar for the outer wing in place. It feels like once the top and bottom of the wing are glued in, the fit is pretty tight. So....just double checking; do not use any glue on parts N58 and N51?

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Brett M said:

Thanks everyone! 

Not an update this time, but a question. Step 67 in the instructions say NOT to glue the wing spar for the outer wing in place. It feels like once the top and bottom of the wing are glued in, the fit is pretty tight. So....just double checking; do not use any glue on parts N58 and N51?

Thanks!

Yes that's correct. These "sleeve" pieces are merely placed in position. If they are glued in, the clearances get too tight, and the spar will not slide all the way into the outer wing segments.

I am amazed how many people building this model have cacked up this step.

-d-

10 minutes ago, David Hansen said:

Yes that's correct. These "sleeve" pieces are merely placed in position. If they are glued in, the clearances get too tight, and the spar will not slide all the way into the outer wing segments.

I am amazed how many people building this model have cacked up this step.

-d-

Perfect, thanks Dave!

I've made an error somewhere...….and mirrored it on both port and starboard.:blink:

49188364402_b3a2270602_b.jpg

More pronounced

49188169281_f4f79810b7_b.jpg

My guess is that when I glued the upper and lower inner wing in place, I clamped them together, which caused a misalignment somewhere. Oy. Now to think on how to solve it. :BANGHEAD2:It's not a huge difference in wing skin height.....but we'll all notice (no one I show this to in person will, ha!)

And.....new lights for extra bright workstation for my progressively worse eye balls :)

49188350087_29ab39fa26_b.jpg

EDIT: Oy, posted and looked at the pictures.....I see more things to fix now that the images are BIG.

Edited by Brett M
oy!

6 hours ago, wmoran said:

Brett,

Your problem is that your work bench is entirely too clean.  If it was like my work bench, you wouldn't have been able to find any clamps, and hence, no alignment problem. :D

Bill

Ha! Every now and then I have to clean up so I an figure out where everything is! :clap2:

Brett,

Progressing well!

Tamiya's instructions say to not glue the outer wing 'spar' in place during the outer wing panel assembly. Maybe that may be the issue?

Also, did you add the wing gun barrels? Tamiya had left them out for some reason.

If you plan on covering the gun openings with the white tape it won't matter.

Larry

2 hours ago, aircare84 said:

Brett,

Progressing well!

Tamiya's instructions say to not glue the outer wing 'spar' in place during the outer wing panel assembly. Maybe that may be the issue?

Also, did you add the wing gun barrels? Tamiya had left them out for some reason.

If you plan on covering the gun openings with the white tape it won't matter.

Larry

Hi Larry

well, I left the wing spar loose, so I don’t think it was that. I ended up splitting the inner wing to make the difference in width up. Working on clean up now. Pictures to come.

As for the guns, nope didn’t add them. I’m planning on taping the ports, so no need.

Updates to come soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Rescued from page 6!

This build has still be active, but I just haven't been sharing much. It took me a while to fix my mistake with the leading edge of the inner wing. I ended up splitting the wing by cutting into the rib and spreading the wing to match the width of the outer wing. Not pretty on the inside, but at least you'll never see it. 

I've assembled the landing gear and just need to finish the scissors (which, meh, they're not great stock). After that, I'll get them painted, decals applied and weathered. My main NEXT goal is get the engine built and painted, as well as the Vector flaps. I've been avoiding both but it's time to get them done. I attached the windscreen, wings and flaps (not glued to wing). I also started doing some pre-shading....then stumbled upon black basing. I've been practicing with a sacrificial wing and I think I have the basic technique down and will end up doing it on the Corsair. Let's hope I don't do a crappy paint job on this kit!

To go along with my Barracuda wheels/tires, Montex masks and Vector Resin flaps, I ordered a set of HGW stencil wet transfers, which are coming from Australia. For those that have used Montex, do they seem to be slightly undersized? The masks for the canopy didn't fit correctly (which is why you see black at the center, with the Tamiya masks elsewhere).

Thanks again for reading through, I'll be posting more updates now that I'm to a point where I feel it's worth sharing updates! Please, if you have criticisms, suggestions, anything to help improve this, spit it out! I'd love to hear it and learn. 

49306092198_c172e76c07_b.jpg

Dusty....definitely will be cleaning when I'm ready to prime.

49310363366_4980866f67_b.jpg

49309862833_dd64d36a3f_b.jpg

The darker blue grey at the bottom center of the wing is my latest attempt. Difficult to capture the variations without jumping into a full light box shot. 

49306092228_c97386b51d_b.jpg>

49310566952_a63b8028a1_b.jpg

49310566747_f055f9fec2_b.jpg

Edited by Brett M
Replaced images with color temp probs

Great update!  I'm at the same stage on my build as yours.  And I've also got the HGW Wet Transfers on order but mine are coming from Europe, not Australia... hopefully soon!  And yes, I did notice that the Montex masks were very slightly undersized but since I painted the interior frames, I don't mind making the outside frames just a tad wider to fully cover the interior paint.  Did you see the comment on my build about the small rectangular openings on the fuselage sides just aft of the cockpit?  You may or may not want to fill them. ;)

55 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Great update!  I'm at the same stage on my build as yours.  And I've also got the HGW Wet Transfers on order but mine are coming from Europe, not Australia... hopefully soon!  And yes, I did notice that the Montex masks were very slightly undersized but since I painted the interior frames, I don't mind making the outside frames just a tad wider to fully cover the interior paint.  Did you see the comment on my build about the small rectangular openings on the fuselage sides just aft of the cockpit?  You may or may not want to fill them. ;)

Huh, didn't consider making the frames slightly wider. I did the interior frames with the Montex masks too. Wonder how it'll turn out. I considered actually zooming in on my list of "to do"....first item written is filling in those side slots, based on your build comments B)

Thanks for looking!