Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair - Done!

Brett M

On 10/28/2019 at 10:59 AM, Tolga ULGUR said:

Very nice cockpit, especially the headrest.:goodjob:

20 hours ago, Madmax said:

You certainly have a deft hand with a paintbrush Brett!

Thanks! Paint brush, dunno there.....airbrush and tape....I'm good! 

Work on the HGW seatbelts. They still need to have their gloss coat + matte coat + wash, but.....they're together!

48984073457_e7e1c3fa3f_c.jpg

Getting there, piece by piece!

Great work so far!  Any tips you can provide on the HGW seatbelts?  What glue did you use?  Did you thread the belts through the P/E parts with them still on the sprue?  I have struggled with fabric belts in the past so I'm happy to hear anything you can tell me about the procedure.  Yours look great!

1 hour ago, ringleheim said:

Great work so far!  Any tips you can provide on the HGW seatbelts?  What glue did you use?  Did you thread the belts through the P/E parts with them still on the sprue?  I have struggled with fabric belts in the past so I'm happy to hear anything you can tell me about the procedure.  Yours look great!

Perhaps it's a bit presumptuous of me to jump in on a question asked of the OP, but I certainly thread the belts through the buckles etc with the latter still on the etched fret.  White glue (I use Gator's Grip, thin variety) works for me.

9 hours ago, ringleheim said:

7 hours ago, MikeC said:

Perhaps it's a bit presumptuous of me to jump in on a question asked of the OP, but I certainly thread the belts through the buckles etc with the latter still on the etched fret.  White glue (I use Gator's Grip, thin variety) works for me.

Not presumptuous at all Mike, we're all here to share and learn! :) 

I did pretty much what Mike said, especially after I launched a PE piece off my tweezers and spent an hour searching for it. Definitely easier and more controlled to keep them on the fret and thread the belts that way. I'm not sure if I balled up the belts enough to really give them that fabric look, as they're still a bit stiff. I also used gel CA in tiny amounts, applied with a tooth pick. Doesn't seem to have had any adverse effect so far, though I have seen many more mentions of white glue used. 

Here's how they look currently after an oil wash with raw umber. 

48996011297_8bbb75e238_c.jpg

Edited by Brett M

Light progress this weekend, slightly busy with yard clean up for the third time (leaves).....and went and saw Terminator Dark Fate. 

Anyway, seat belts are done'ish......they're still floating a bit, so I need to get them down further into the seat. I've also started attaching everything to the starboard fuselage permanently. I should have everything buttoned up in the next few days (depending on how the wife's wrist surgery goes.

49010317558_b95cf58a81_c.jpg

49011058472_c84fb9057d_c.jpg

49009720373_a8c553300b_c.jpg

Did some test sprays/comparisons. Mission Models on the left, MRP on the right. The grey blue from MRP is much too dark in my opinion, and Mission Models grey, too dark. So, MMP grey blue, MRP grey, at least till something else shows up that looks better. 

49009539787_ce77edc8f7_c.jpg

Comments welcome as always!

6 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

can't offer anything constructive as you're doing a way better job than I could, so I shall just praise your work and continue to be amazed at how real those seat belts look - and that head rest

Really awesome work Brett!

Thanks! It's been fun so far.....now, where's some more Star Destroyer for us to oogle?

6 hours ago, WasatchAviator said:

Looking good. those belts are worth the effort. 

Definitely agree, much better than I could have done with the included PE belts. 

5 hours ago, monthebiff said:

One very nice looking cockpit, thank you for sharing.

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy, it's appreciated!

The two halves of the fuselage are together. I got a bit of work done on removing minor seams, as the Tamiya fit is about as dead on as you can get. There are some TINY rivets that I lost that I'm repunching as I can.....I really hate doing this as I never feel I do a good job. At least I'm not having to rescribe!

I'll post more updates later this week. Wife's wrist surgery is tomorrow. Stainless steel plate to hold the wrist bones together while they heal. I offered to just make her a pirate; hook to replace the hand, eye patch and a really big hat (plus feather!), but all I got were squinty annoyed eyes!

4 minutes ago, Winnie said:

I have to ask, perhaps you have commented before, the green for the cockpit, what approximation did you use? I am looking for what to use on my F4U in the future!

Cheers

Harald.

Hi Harald

The interior is MRP Interior Dark Dull Green, #229. I believe it's only used in the early Corsairs, aka the Birdcage versions. 

Hope that helps. 

Brett

3 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

:wow:  

Brett.... just gone through your thread,and your detailing is SO precise and OUTSTANDING... 

SUPERB workmanship and your Cockpit and detailing is EXQUISITE..

Very Neat and FLAWLESS work indeed.

Looks mighty IMPRESSIVE. 

:goodjob:

:clap2:

:bow:  :bow:

Thanks Maru, the comments are appreciated! 

Nothing really interesting to show. The fuselage is together and seams are gone, rivets repopped. Spine is on on top, adding the panels to the nose (oh how I love Tamiya gaps, so perfect!)

Working on the horizontal stabilizers this morning prior to errands, maybe some pictures later, just for over all progress :)