Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair - Done!

Brett M

Brett,

Eduard also makes fabric seat belts for the Corsair. I believe I used them in my build. I don't recommend the photo etch steel ones, though.

Here's some HGW ones;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HGW-132527-1-32-Vought-F4U-1-Corsair-Seatbelts-Laser-Cut-for-Tamiya-kit/273994467093?hash=item3fcb57c715:g:CJgAAOSwxeddcDrJ

Good place to buy from & quick shipping, I use them a lot.

16 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Terrific work, Brett!

Kev

Thank you!

16 hours ago, Gazzas said:

That looks great!

Thanks!

16 hours ago, aircare84 said:

Brett,

Eduard also makes fabric seat belts for the Corsair. I believe I used them in my build. I don't recommend the photo etch steel ones, though.

Here's some HGW ones;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HGW-132527-1-32-Vought-F4U-1-Corsair-Seatbelts-Laser-Cut-for-Tamiya-kit/273994467093?hash=item3fcb57c715:g:CJgAAOSwxeddcDrJ

Good place to buy from & quick shipping, I use them a lot.

I may give that a try if I don’t find anything in the next day or two. I was also looking at ordering directly from HGW as well.

8 hours ago, curiouslysophie said:

Wonderful work Brett! I love the chipping on the seat, is it done with chipping fluid or a sponge? Would you recommend any upgrade parts for this cockpit, or is it good oob?

Thanks Sophie. The chipping is done with a sponge very lightly dipped in Model Master Aluminum and abbey onto the seat. Definitely get the Barracuda cockpit decals, they really bring the pit too life. As for other upgrades, dunno yet.....seatbelts for sure. I might try replicating some of the wiring, but that’s yet to be determined.

1 hour ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Very nice result Brett!

Thanks!

59 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

That interior looks amazing! The subtle but very nice weathering is right up my alley. 

:D 

Edited by Brett M

On 10/14/2019 at 1:52 PM, Winnie said:

Superb if you ask me. I have a 1D in my stash that will have to come out of hiding soon.... 

Thanks Winnie. Dig out that 1D, can't go wrong with more Corsair builds. 

Made a tiny amount of progress this weekend (told you this would be a slow build!). More interior completed. Fuselage sides are coming together. Placards and parts added to both sides. Tail section sprayed with salmon pink primer.....interesting color! I'm not going to spend a lot of time in the tail, since it won't be seen once the fuselage is put together

48932368372_3397600b73_c.jpg

Sidewalls

48932368527_502590313e_c.jpg

48931641493_d601b5c742_c.jpg

48931641268_b02bb822c5_c.jpg

48932368437_692d3e50aa_c.jpg

48931641428_92928bcebc_c.jpg

48932368422_81b3c7b9ed_c.jpg

And then, my beep beep beeeeeep up. I should be able to smooth this out...I hope. 

48931641398_1d21881f95_c.jpg

I decided to try and modify the throttle, after I'd painted it etc. So, attempting to do something more along the lines of what Wolf and Thunnus have done with their builds. We shall......hope? I'll post pictures when it doesn't look like it got ran over by a model Corsair......

HGW seatbelts should be here later this week, along with Montex masks as well. Getting there!

Comments, critiques, the normal......all are welcome!

Edited by Brett M

Holy deity that's some nice painting! Just come across this thread and I'm glad I peaked inside. Nice man cave BTW!

Great work on the Birdcage Brett - you seem to have a knack of being able to produce awesome results not matter the subject type, be it Sci-Fi, ships, tanks or planes.

Looking forward to seeing more!

On 10/20/2019 at 4:58 PM, The Madhatter said:

Holy deity that's some nice painting! Just come across this thread and I'm glad I peaked inside. Nice man cave BTW!

Great work on the Birdcage Brett - you seem to have a knack of being able to produce awesome results not matter the subject type, be it Sci-Fi, ships, tanks or planes.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks! The little office room isn't too bad. Needs to be repainted a lighter color, it's not great in overcast days ;)

Appreciate the comments on the work so far. More AM showed up today in the form of Montex Masks, specifically these one's

https://www.victorymodels.com/collections/montex-masks/products/montex-1-32-masks-decals-markings-for-f4u-1-u-2-corsair-for-tamiya-k32269

(Tried loading the Montex site, but it just sat there loading)

So......now to figure out if I've done the right head rest and (lack) of armor plating for the older bird! Anyone know?

Throttle progress and flare gun. 

So, as I said, I was trying something similiar to Thunnus and Wolf. It's not as clean as their work, but it's a far cry above the bits of plastic that just were stuck on before. Of course, I didn't take a before shot.....so, you'll have to go view their threads to see what the part looked like direct from Tamiya. 

Throttle.....

48944875063_136ab9235f_c.jpg

48944875028_752bff2b46_c.jpg

48945417481_0de72521b7_c.jpg

Flare gun

48945611202_7c1163bc88_c.jpg

Comments welcome as always! Thanks for looking. 

Brett

Good thing no one has noticed that I put some decals on upside down....or zoomed in :)

Random update, decided I would replace the headrest.....added the beading around the front and back of the headrest using stretched sprue. I think it's not bad...but let me know what you think!

48955581677_d219b55cee_c.jpg