Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair - Done!

Brett M

On 1/13/2020 at 8:45 PM, Brett M said:

Thanks all! 

More work this evening. Hairspray technique, my first time.....lots of firsts. Sprayed a layer of Tamiya XF-4, possible could have been a bit more opaque. Followed by clear, hairspray, Tamiya X-18 semi gloss black, then AK M-485 blue grey. Let that all setup a bit and then attacked with a stiff brush. The XF-4 didn't show as much (more opacity next time!) but, it's there and somewhat decent. 

The tonal variations in the images are really not showing well in my office/hobby room lighting, so hopefully you can see. I imagine that once I start moving onto other layers of weathering, things will look MUCH different. 

As always, comments, critiques, suggestions are welcome!

49382411867_906c2ff0bf_b.jpg

49382215601_546811f9c9_b.jpg

49381751503_f2dc0042c1_b.jpg

49382215621_7d338ede13_b.jpg

49382411842_c5a09847c2_b.jpg

49382411782_ea00bf783d_b.jpg

49382411822_e43407276b_b.jpg

bravo on the hairspray work.  looks great.  one of these days I'm gonna drink the hairspray, chipping, oils kool-aid.

This is looking great, as a big fan of painted on masks yours look really good, I was pleased that you did not have the same disaster I had when I first used masks on US stars, I painted the white first then the blue but it ended up with the white peaking through on the edges and I had to re paint then.

CV66XW.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

3 hours ago, dennismcc said:

This is looking great, as a big fan of painted on masks yours look really good, I was pleased that you did not have the same disaster I had when I first used masks on US stars, I painted the white first then the blue but it ended up with the white peaking through on the edges and I had to re paint then.

CV66XW.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments. 

Dennis, I was worried I might end up with what you did spraying white first, but thankfully lucked out.

Unfortunately, luck ran out today. On both the port wing and fuselage stars, I pulled paint down to the bare plastic. Surprised me, since I used Tamiya TS paint for the base coat. Oh well though, definitely repairable and shouldn’t be noticed later on.

Brett

More insignia "progress", said slightly sarcastically. I'm not sure what I did to the port wing, but I'm not having much luck with the masks not pulling paint up. I'd fixed the problem with the star where paint had come up (wing and fuselage), but when I went to remove the masks and masking I'd done to repair the wing, 10x worse pull. So now I need to fix that. Slightly frustrating, especially when I'd sprayed Tamiya TS, then my blue greys. I can only guess that when I cleaned the surface with alcohol then sprayed the black, I somehow had bad adhesion. 

Oh well, onward we go! At least the port fuselage insignia turn out okay'ish. 

Comments, suggestions, etc...….help! :blink:

49434417481_fa163458e1_b.jpg

49434643147_9ea179ddfe_b.jpg

49434643207_eb3be617ef_b.jpg 

49434643167_b24414c956_b.jpg

49 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Ahhhhhhhhy! That stinks. Sorry that happened Brett. Did you use a primer at all? 

I used Tamiya TS-29 as my base, no primer beneath. I’d assumed it would have enough “bite”.......

Oh man... I feel your pain.  The one thing that makes me nervous about using paint masks is the potential of pulling up paint.  I also elect not to spray my camo colors over a primer so I try to take extra care to make sure the surface is clean before I paint.  I wipe down the model with a clean cloth slightly dampened with Windex and then use rubber gloves when handling the model during the painting stage.  And I allow the paint to cure thoroughly before applying the masks... usually a full day.

All the markings look ok except the port upper wing?  I noticed that only the lighter blue over the fabric areas lifted?  If the paint coat is not stable, it may be difficult to get rid of the "edge" by sanding.  It's drastic but if the sanding doesn't work, I've purposefully lifted off the unstable paint by tape.  You may be able to lift off most/all of the lighter blue area without affecting the darker blue and re-doing that area.

2 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Oh man... I feel your pain.  The one thing that makes me nervous about using paint masks is the potential of pulling up paint.  I also elect not to spray my camo colors over a primer so I try to take extra care to make sure the surface is clean before I paint.  I wipe down the model with a clean cloth slightly dampened with Windex and then use rubber gloves when handling the model during the painting stage.  And I allow the paint to cure thoroughly before applying the masks... usually a full day.

All the markings look ok except the port upper wing?  I noticed that only the lighter blue over the fabric areas lifted?  If the paint coat is not stable, it may be difficult to get rid of the "edge" by sanding.  It's drastic but if the sanding doesn't work, I've purposefully lifted off the unstable paint by tape.  You may be able to lift off most/all of the lighter blue area without affecting the darker blue and re-doing that area.

Well, I didn’t do Windex but I did use alcohol to degrease. Did the same as you using rubber gloves during painting as well, so this was a total surprise.

I'm definitely considering lifting the paint if I can’t get smooth transitions. I sprayed the insignia blue earlier and it looks pretty good. Giving it time before I attempt to mask the roundel and try the blue grey.

Fingers crossed.....I want to get it clear coated and protected!

Edited by Brett M

That's a real shame, Brett. I hope you can recover and finish, as it's looking really good!

As to the nature of the problem itself, I would say it's rooted in your not using a primer. Whether to use a primer or not seems to be one of those divisive issues that people can get a bit religious about. Some swear by it and do it all the time, while others swear they never do it and have never had a problem. Occasionally you'll meet someone who does it only for mixed-media surfaces. Me personally, I think making the use of a primer coat a habit was the single-best improvement I ever made to my painting process, and I now pretty much do it all the time. I don't use paint masks that often, however, so my experience there is quite limited.

Kev

52 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

That's a real shame, Brett. I hope you can recover and finish, as it's looking really good!

As to the nature of the problem itself, I would say it's rooted in your not using a primer. Whether to use a primer or not seems to be one of those divisive issues that people can get a bit religious about. Some swear by it and do it all the time, while others swear they never do it and have never had a problem. Occasionally you'll meet someone who does it only for mixed-media surfaces. Me personally, I think making the use of a primer coat a habit was the single-best improvement I ever made to my painting process, and I now pretty much do it all the time. I don't use paint masks that often, however, so my experience there is quite limited.

Kev

Thanks Kev.

The only reason I chose not to do a primer is all of layers of paint I was planning on doing, too worried I'd lose the tiny rivet detail. Live and learn!

So, here's my recovery.....the insignia itself, I'm not super impressed with. I may give it a week and think about trying to clean it up more, especially the white,, but I really want all the paints to cure as much as they can. Overall, it looks good.....from 12 inches at least :mellow: It won't be winning any contests (if I ever tried) so, I guess I'll have to build another.....HA!

Anyway, here's how she looks now. 

Thoughts, comments, suggestions on cocktails to overcome this, etc. all are welcome!

49436359921_475698d2bb_b.jpg

49436582287_877e7cba6c_b.jpg