Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair - Done!

Brett M

21 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

That's really starting to look the buzz now Brett!

I agree, I think once the underside is painted it will darken up the blue a bit

Thanks Brian! I added a bit of light grey today, just to see.....and yep, that makes me feel much better about the color. 

Also, painted the fabric areas on the upper side of the wings. Getting further and further...….

49397170382_2a5ae50c0c_b.jpg

49396965446_3fef7a3643_b.jpg

49397170412_f7c1fc53e6_b.jpg

More weekend progress to share with you all. Definitely feel free to point out flaws, suggestions, critiques, etc. I'm all ears. More painting as usual this past week. The tail antenna is back on for the 3rd time, hopefully the last time repaired. I'm thinking that once I have the bottom painted, I'm going to push it off to the side and cover it up for a bit. I have to get going on the engine and cowling, so that'll be the push to get that together, along with the Vector engine flaps. Wish me luck. 

Anyway, decent sun shine today, so I moved out to the well lit dining room for some better pictures and I think that shows versus the dark office shots I'd been sharing. 

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend (and those in the States enjoy the 3 day'er). 

Brett

49410635293_ec332ca83d_b.jpg

49410635263_c6b2a51ec8_b.jpg

49411310852_de4e9627b4_b.jpg

49411310767_1b6474f01b_b.jpg

49411355982_4e15a9a993_b.jpg

49411108816_3d030c021e_b.jpg

7 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

That looks terrific so far, Brett!

Kev

6 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

I like it  :popcorn:

Thanks Kevin, Mike!

I thought I would check out the Montex insignia masks, after remembering that John(thunnus) had said his had expanded. Yep, same issue with mine. None seemed to be the right size anymore, and the fuel tank tape masks weren't even straight lines anymore. 

As I have no Silhouette cutter, I just placed an order with Maketar for their mask set, so hopefully those will be in better shape! 

Brett

2 minutes ago, Brett M said:

I thought I would check out the Montex insignia masks, after remembering that John(thunnus) had said his had expanded. Yep, same issue with mine. None seemed to be the right size anymore, and the fuel tank tape masks weren't even straight lines anymore. 

Yep, its the one true drawback to Oramask 810. The "pre-shrink" issue has to do with the pre-shrunk tension they apparently apply at the factory, and thus when things are cut out, depending on temp and humidity, the negative parts of the cut mask start to shrink away from the positive parts.   I LOVE Oramask 810, and as far as masking properties (flexible, easy to use, fairly re-usable, easy to get around complex/compound curves) its great, but if you cut the masks too soon, or order some 810 masks pre-cut, its a risk you take. 

My masks I made for my checkerboard base for my Extra were in my heated model room overnight and I had a fully formed mask with 1" checkers and no visible cuts on it when I went to bed, and by the time I checked it the next morn, I had nearly 1/8" gaps between the checkers. 

On 1/20/2020 at 7:41 AM, Out2gtcha said:

Yep, its the one true drawback to Oramask 810. The "pre-shrink" issue has to do with the pre-shrunk tension they apparently apply at the factory, and thus when things are cut out, depending on temp and humidity, the negative parts of the cut mask start to shrink away from the positive parts.   I LOVE Oramask 810, and as far as masking properties (flexible, easy to use, fairly re-usable, easy to get around complex/compound curves) its great, but if you cut the masks too soon, or order some 810 masks pre-cut, its a risk you take. 

My masks I made for my checkerboard base for my Extra were in my heated model room overnight and I had a fully formed mask with 1" checkers and no visible cuts on it when I went to bed, and by the time I checked it the next morn, I had nearly 1/8" gaps between the checkers. 

On 1/20/2020 at 8:17 AM, MikeC said:

This is coming along beautifully; all the meticulous preparation seems to be paying off.  Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks guys! I ended up trying out the Montex masks anyway...cause why not?  I used AK Real Colours Insignia White and Tamiya Royal Blue, with a touch of black (3:1) for the insignia's. Turned out okay, slight touch up to sharpen the edges of the white and I have a couple of spots where the mask came up on the edge of the blue roundel to fix. But, for the first time painting masks, decent. Next time, for the upper wings and fuselage, I'll use a slightly thicker mix of paint. I had to go over these with quite a few layers to cover. 

Sorry for the picture quality, dark hobby room shots again.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

49421997561_83275baba9_b.jpg

49421997526_76e79f4633_b.jpg

49421997476_58ec3d4428_b.jpg

49421997601_fc094ecbe2_b.jpg