Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair - Done!

Brett M

3 hours ago, aircare84 said:

Great update Brett.

Watch out when you get your Barracuda wheels fitted, as they are wider that the kit wheels.

Mine would hit the wheel door that attaches to the strut.

Thanks for the info. Did you just space the door out further from the strut?

18 hours ago, aircare84 said:

Great update Brett.

Watch out when you get your Barracuda wheels fitted, as they are wider that the kit wheels.

Mine would hit the wheel door that attaches to the strut.

that's interesting... 

has anyone contacted Roy about this?

has anyone else had this problem?

Brett

the cockpit looks beautiful so i hope you get / got the wing issues sorted

what scheme you doing?

I ask because I wouldn't trust Montex call-outs or their details, although I do quite like their masks; if you read your Dana Bell book you will see he notes that a lot of schemes people think are the early two tone are actually the tri-clour scheme (or four colours if you count spec and non-spec blue as two separate colours)

cheers

Nick

2 hours ago, nmayhew said:

that's interesting... 

has anyone contacted Roy about this?

has anyone else had this problem?

Brett

the cockpit looks beautiful so i hope you get / got the wing issues sorted

what scheme you doing?

I ask because I wouldn't trust Montex call-outs or their details, although I do quite like their masks; if you read your Dana Bell book you will see he notes that a lot of schemes people think are the early two tone are actually the tri-clour scheme (or four colours if you count spec and non-spec blue as two separate colours)

cheers

Nick

Hey Nick

Thanks on the cockpit. Wings are sorted and look pretty decent. I'm not super good at riveting, but they'll do. 

For the masks, I'd chosen the two color scheme on this set from Montex.

K32269.jpg

Now you've got me worried that it might be a tri color scheme. I'd not been able to find any images of the actual plane either, so I was assuming Montex did their work. Thoughts?

Brett 

My thoughts:

Well, I never model anything or accept it in to my ‘project list’ without seeing a photo of it and confirming its features and appearance.

this makes some things easy - no picture, no project - but also some things hard - insufficient evidence for something that otherwise I really want to make

as to your Corsair, I can’t research it now as I am wading through  The Great Gatsby on Netflix (God it’s long!!!), but I would say that 10mins Googling can usually pull up any images that the likes of Montex are going to base their projects on.

use your Dana Bell book to help interpret the images you find 

and if you can’t find the image - or a clear image - of it, there is a very strong chance they have just made it up

and it’s not just Montex, beyond Fundekals, Barracuda and EagleCals, I wouldn’t trust any of them (and even the latter two are not infallible...)

sorry I don’t have anything more definitive for you 

5 hours ago, nmayhew said:

My thoughts:

Well, I never model anything or accept it in to my ‘project list’ without seeing a photo of it and confirming its features and appearance.

this makes some things easy - no picture, no project - but also some things hard - insufficient evidence for something that otherwise I really want to make

as to your Corsair, I can’t research it now as I am wading through  The Great Gatsby on Netflix (God it’s long!!!), but I would say that 10mins Googling can usually pull up any images that the likes of Montex are going to base their projects on.

use your Dana Bell book to help interpret the images you find 

and if you can’t find the image - or a clear image - of it, there is a very strong chance they have just made it up

and it’s not just Montex, beyond Fundekals, Barracuda and EagleCals, I wouldn’t trust any of them (and even the latter two are not infallible...)

sorry I don’t have anything more definitive for you 

I’d started the thread below a few months back looking for more info on this particular aircraft.....searching Google never brought back any images of a real Corsair, only artist depictions.

More weekend work, though it's not a huge update.

Landing gear is assembled and sprayed M-485 Light Grey using MRP. Single placard decal applied and just waiting for a gloss of X-22 before I start weathering them up. I also can now see where I missed some paint on the brake line, oops. Also, my MM Chrome Silver seems to have lost it's "chrome" appearance, so that may be redone later. 

49336207096_91c3a2ee34_b.jpg

Also did some more playing around with black basing and using AK Real Color M-485 Blue Grey. BIG difference in shades between the MRP version on the lower part of the wing. 

49336236601_ab720d624d_b.jpg

John (Thunnus) if you read this, did you use the same AK color for your port wing?

Onto the cockpit area and glass. Masked and sprayed black, then blue grey where the windows will be behind the pilot. Also sprayed a big of black primer here and there to make sure seams are gone (not all, more work!).

49336207061_6dac78459f_b.jpg

And a close up of the window area, along with the fill of the slot on the side, which apparently isn't completely smooth yet. 

49335742308_8ab3c6a270_b.jpg

Any thoughts or comments, suggestions etc. are welcome. Especially if you want to weigh in on the blue grey ;) I'm not sold on which version to use yet. 

Thanks for looking. 

8 hours ago, Brett M said:

Also did some more playing around with black basing and using AK Real Color M-485 Blue Grey. BIG difference in shades between the MRP version on the lower part of the wing. 

49336236601_ab720d624d_b.jpg

John (Thunnus) if you read this, did you use the same AK color for your port wing?

Nice work Brett!  She's shaping up beautifully!  Yes, I used AK Real Colors M-485 Blue Grey for my port wing.  It looked ok to me but I have not made any comparisons.

Hi Brett,

A couple of observations.

1) I too have found precious little information about the "Reluctant Dragon" aside form one black and white photo taken of the artwork. The plane DID exist and in all likelihood it was ANA Sea Gray over Light Aircraft Gray. I wish i knew more about the plane. Others may know a lot more.

2) When i built my 2 Birdcages i used a block of Evergreen stock wedged into the intake openings, filled around it with CA and sanded it flush.

3) I used Barracuda wheels on both of my builds. You do need to be careful when installing the wheels to aensure proper spacing. In the real F4U Corsair, the clearance between the inside wall of the tyre and the door is VERY close...as in the width of a #2 pencil. I used a piece of styrene sheet as a spacer to ensure proper separation.

HTH,

david

On 1/6/2020 at 12:03 PM, David Hansen said:

Hi Brett,

A couple of observations.

1) I too have found precious little information about the "Reluctant Dragon" aside form one black and white photo taken of the artwork. The plane DID exist and in all likelihood it was ANA Sea Gray over Light Aircraft Gray. I wish i knew more about the plane. Others may know a lot more.

2) When i built my 2 Birdcages i used a block of Evergreen stock wedged into the intake openings, filled around it with CA and sanded it flush.

3) I used Barracuda wheels on both of my builds. You do need to be careful when installing the wheels to aensure proper spacing. In the real F4U Corsair, the clearance between the inside wall of the tyre and the door is VERY close...as in the width of a #2 pencil. I used a piece of styrene sheet as a spacer to ensure proper separation.

HTH,

david

Thanks David, that’s good information. You don’t happen to have that black and white photo you mentioned? ANA Sea grey isn’t a color I’d run across yet, so that is interesting.

I will take care on the wheels to ensure they are mounted correctly, thanks for that call out.

Appreciate the knowledge share!

Edited by Brett M

Morning all! A few minor updates while overall progress continues. I've painted the area behind the cockpit where the windows are on the -1 and gave them a light wash to make them appear dirty. I figure they sucked dust back there, but otherwise not much else would have gotten in there. 

I've also finished up the landing gear. Sprayed black, then MRP M-485 Light Grey and given a wash of grey. Afterwards, just some slight weathering with Tamiya oil stain pastels. 

My plan for the weekend, after house work (painting cabinets, replacing hardware) is to get the overall Corsair sprayed black. I wasn't able to procure Mr Surfacer Black 1500 this week, so I'm using Tamiya TS-29 semi gloss black (decanted), which laid down nicely on the flaps. Hopefully all goes well and I can share a black bird tomorrow!

49367537018_5defaa9572_c.jpg

49368212292_435e64f96c_c.jpg

49367537003_2b28a2e68e_c.jpg

Comments, suggestions, all are welcome. (Yes, I need to clean my lens...dusty!) Thanks for looking. 

Brett

Morning all!

Here's how things have progressed. Black base down, turned out decently. TS paints are rough on the smell (and lungs I'm sure), wow. Let it cure overnight, then this morning gave it a rub down with a old shirt to remove any particulates, no issues. Went through and cleaned out the airbrush (broke down, scrub, reassemble) then was moving the plane back into the booth where I promptly broke off the new antenna I made yesterday. Just had to laugh at that. Oh well, easy fix, again!

So a few firsts for this build for me. 

• 1/32 aircraft
  • WW2
  • Black basing
  • Painted insignias
  • Multi layer chipping

So, my next task was to spray Alclad duraluminum in the areas I intend to chip/wear through. So, that's done....and once that's dry, I will clean the overspray dust off. 

Comments, suggests, whatever you feel like saying this Sunday, let me have it!

49374219642_f24afe9d1d_b.jpg

49374219617_a008574e02_b.jpg

49374219572_694baf67d2_b.jpg

Edited by Brett M
Hit enter too much and it posted!

Ahhh... the painting begins!  I don't normally black-base but rather use an inverse form of it to establish my tonal variation.  Interested to see how the black basing marries with the multi-layer chipping!