LSP_Kevin

HK Models 1/48 B-17G!

On 10/8/2019 at 5:14 PM, fightersweep said:

Juggernut:

Not being a total B-17 expert, apart from adding staggered waist gun windows, is there much else I would need to modify to get a B-17G-35-DL from this kit?

Regards;

Steve

Steve,

I'm sorry I didn't respond to your question sooner... I just noticed it when resurrecting this thread to add dimensions for bulkheads 6 and 7.  In short, the answer is yes and no, or "it depends"...whichever you prefer.  The issue is that some of the -35 Douglas ships were modified with the pumpkin turret, others, like the one I was working on, were not.  You need to have a photo of the tail of your subject aircraft to see whether she had the pumpkin turret or not.  Serial numbers won't help in this case I'm afraid unless someone knows of a list of -35 Douglas B-17G's that were modified with the pumpkin turret.  I don't know of such a list.

Having said that, if no evidence surfaces that your chosen subject had a pumpkin turret then I'd say just stagger the waist windows and be done with it and claim that your subject was not modified with the pumpkin turret.

o3h5qth.jpg

I borrowed this image from Karl H who I think added the block identifiers to an otherwise stock image.  Notice that one -35-DL has a standard tail while another has a pumpkin turret.

Edited by Juggernut

On 10/24/2019 at 12:04 AM, Juggernut said:

o3h5qth.jpg

I borrowed this image from Karl H who I think added the block identifiers to an otherwise stock image.  Notice that one -35-DL has a standard tail while another has a pumpkin turret.

Hi Juggernut;

Thanks for the reply, and that photograph is great isn't it? Luckily, I have a nice photo of the tail area of the aircraft I want to model (42-107039), and she had an early stinger tail fitted, so that's that one sorted. She also appears to have had the wing tip vents, which strangley I can't see on the aircraft in the foreground of the above photo. So apart from staggering the waist guns and adding vents, I've been told that she had the earlier nose glazing fitted (the new HK kit has the later version fitted I've been informed). The waist gun mounts are also the same as those seen above. I think I'll pick up the B-17G early boxing of the kit and go from there. I suspect also that we're going to see a lot of aftermarket and mods appear for this kit once it hits the shelves. Happy days! 

Thanks for the reply!

Steve

Can you post a photo of your subject aircraft?  I'm curious about the "earlier" nose fitted.  If you're meaning the F style nose without the gun ports, that was probably a retrofit as she was probably delivered with the typical G nose glazing.  There was a very late style nose that was rounded on the top half and noticeably different than the typical G nose.  The typical G nose is what looks to be included in the HK 1/48 kit.

Just as a FYI - my chosen aircraft is serialed 42-107030....Fifinella, 91St BG.

Edited by Juggernut

14 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Just as a FYI - my chosen aircraft is serialed 42-107030....Fifinella, 91St BG.

That's pretty cool! We've chosen two 17s only 9 apart on the production line! I spent about 15 years back in the 90s researching "Ice Cold Katy" of the 612th, 401st Bomb Group. Got the complete history and corresponded with many ex crew members, so she was the natural choice of build for the HK kit for me. I think she must have had the standard G nose fitted then, if the kit has the very late style nose glazing supplied. I guess this is was what was being explained to me.

27280543818_2766ac3ecb.jpgice-cold-katy-one-engine

Best regards;

Steve

5 hours ago, fightersweep said:

That's pretty cool! We've chosen two 17s only 9 apart on the production line! I spent about 15 years back in the 90s researching "Ice Cold Katy" of the 612th, 401st Bomb Group. Got the complete history and corresponded with many ex crew members, so she was the natural choice of build for the HK kit for me. I think she must have had the standard G nose fitted then, if the kit has the very late style nose glazing supplied. I guess this is was what was being explained to me.

27280543818_2766ac3ecb.jpgice-cold-katy-one-engine

Best regards;

Steve

In that photograph, Ice Cold Katy has the F style nose which she was most likely not delivered with.  She was most likely delivered with the typical nose that will come in the HK kit.   With 30 missions under her wings, the nose blister in the photo is most probably a replacement.  In the back of my mind, I seem to remember reading something, somewhere that crews preferred that style nose as it offered more room than did the typical nose blister.  I can't say where I read it or when...it's just something that I remembered. 

I have not yet seen a kit that comes with the very late nose blister yet, in any scale, but I'll admit, I haven't looked at them all.

7 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

In that photograph, Ice Cold Katy has the F style nose which she was most likely not delivered with.  She was most likely delivered with the typical nose that will come in the HK kit.   With 30 missions under her wings, the nose blister in the photo is most probably a replacement.  In the back of my mind, I seem to remember reading something, somewhere that crews preferred that style nose as it offered more room than did the typical nose blister.  I can't say where I read it or when...it's just something that I remembered. 

I have not yet seen a kit that comes with the very late nose blister yet, in any scale, but I'll admit, I haven't looked at them all.

That's really interesting to know. Thanks for the info. All the years I've looked at that photo, and I never spotted that she had a F style nose blister fitted. I'll have to look back through her damage reports and nail down when it was likely replaced. The above photo was taken in August 44, and I have a nice close up photo of the nose taken at Valley on the way back Stateside in 45. I'll have to see if she retained that blister for the rest of the war. Looks as though I need to find a F style nose for my kit then!

Best regards;

Steve

You're not likely to find one unless it's a Squadron vacuformed one (if even then).  I've been toying with the idea of creating such a beast but even with a resin 3D printer and access to the Boeing blueprints, It's a daunting task for me. 

Here's my chosen airframe.  You'll notice she's wearing the typical B-17G nose blister.

DGc4wJF.jpg

Here's a shot I stole off the web of a B-17G with the very late style nose blister or reasonable facsimile  thereof.  I need to verify that's the latest style but you get the idea:

IpGQYNA.jpg

Edited by Juggernut

Here's a little more "reliable" information on the different types of noses the G carried.  Part numbers came from the dash 4 (Illustrated Parts Catalog) and were used to locate the blueprints.  The first is the early, F style nose, the second is the typical G nose and the last is the late G nose.

HeVApBR.png

Used on Boeing built B-17G's s/n 42-31032 - 4231331

ZJvX7ff.png

Used on Boeing built B-17G's s/n 42-31332 - 43-38508

t8VnAb8.png

Used on Boeing built B-17G's s/n 43-38509 & subsequent.

NOTE:  You'll find these noses on Vega and Douglas built ships too but the blueprints, in most cases, don't provide serial number breaks for those aircraft.  They may provide construction numbers but that's fairly rare I'm finding out. 

Edited by Juggernut

11 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Here's a little more "reliable" information on the different types of noses the G carried.  Part numbers came from the dash 4 (Illustrated Parts Catalog) and were used to locate the blueprints.  The first is the early, F style nose, the second is the typical G nose and the last is the late G nose.

HeVApBR.png

Juggernut: Thank you for all the information. It's priceless. I think I like the look of Katy with the F style nose, so now the task of finding or making one begins!

Best regards;

Steve

I also need to mention that with staggered waist windows, the walkway around the ball turret changed from the right to the left sides of the aircraft.  (I confirmed that with the real expert, Karl H).  Fortunately, the upcoming kit seems to have this already done for us based on what I'm seeing in the images.  Staggered waist windows or not, I think it'll be tough to see it from the waist windows in the model anyhow but knowing Is key.