... Specifically acrylic paint.

I've loved using Tamiya acrylic's ever since I first used them ... They apply well and are time efficient on preparation ... and especially clean up!!

However ...

They have no "specific" RLM colours ... and this vexes me. Well, not really - but I've always gone picking out the colour of "best fit".

Quite by accident (while online browsing today) I discovered that Mr.Hobby do an acrylic paint WITH specific RLM colours.

Has anyone used both? ... the price looks comparable ... Are the RLM colours more or less accurate?

How do they compare in use and finish?

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

The Gunze (now GSI Creos, aka Mr. Hobby) acrylics are great paints, and I think most of their RLM colours are as accurate as anybody else's - and more accurate than some. Up until discovering MRP paints, they were my go-to paints when I moved away from enamels, and I honestly prefer them to Tamiya's acrylics (though they're quite similar in many ways). You can thin them with a variety of agents (everything from Windex to lacquer thinner), but my preferred thinner is (as always) Mr. Color Thinner (Levelling or not).

In use, you'll find that the approach you use now with Tamiya acrylics will adapt well for the Mr. Hobby paints. Unlike Tamiya's paint, the Gunze colours are mostly either gloss or semi-gloss, so they provide a smoother finish, but take longer to dry and cure. They also tend to cure a little soft compared to a lot of paints, which can bite you occasionally (like heat-activated finger prints a week later).

Once you've used them, the finish provided by Tamiya's acrylics will suddenly seem chalky and rough by comparison. A tip I've used for a long time now to combat that is to add a drop or two of gloss clear to the mix to smooth out the finish.

HTH,

Kev

13 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Personally I think the Gunze acrylic RLM colours are more accurate than most of the MRP ones, but I don't think it's anything worth sweating over - though MRP's take on RLM 66 just looks way too dark to me.

Kev

I tend to tint all of my colors to suggest wear, fade, and batch differences...  I don't want my birds all looking the same.

Ok fellas ... thanks! ... Took me a while to find the thread as it had been moved out of general

(God knows why - it certainly has nothing to do with tips/techniques or anything remotely along those lines!)

I have no idea about Gunze ... the page I looked at says nothing along those lines ...

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemDetail.php?iId=83

But if this is what you're talking about ... The drying and curing part worries me ... I'd rather have my paint dry the way my Tamiya stuff does at present, apply the decals and then a top clear semigloss coat to seal the deal.

I might hold off on pulling the trigger for the mo!!

Edited by Artful69

10 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Ok fellas ... thanks! ... Took me a while to find the thread as it had been moved out of general

(God knows why - it certainly has nothing to do with tips/techniques or anything remotely along those lines!)

It's because the name of this forum no longer accurately reflects its full intent, which is to be a place to discuss all aspects of the process of building a model. So any question (or tip!) that involves building or painting (or weathering, etc) a model, belongs here, along with questions about products and their use. The best we could do on short notice was add "Q&A" as a prefix, hoping that it provides enough of a signal about the scope of the forum. Along with pulling aviation-related topics out of General Discussion, we also wanted to do the same with modelling-related discussions as much as possible.

As for Gunze, that name is defunct these days, but us old timers have trouble letting it go. The company is now called GSI Creos, and their brands have all been refined around the "Mr" moniker - Mr. Hobby, Mr. Color, etc. In broad terms, the Mr. Hobby Aqueous range cover the Tamiya-like acrylic paints, while Mr. Color paints are lacquers. It's explained on the same website you linked to, Rog:

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/aboutMrHobby.php

Kev

On 9/21/2019 at 2:02 AM, Artful69 said:

... Specifically acrylic paint.

I've loved using Tamiya acrylic's ever since I first used them ... They apply well and are time efficient on preparation ... and especially clean up!!

However ...

They have no "specific" RLM colours ... and this vexes me. Well, not really - but I've always gone picking out the colour of "best fit".

Quite by accident (while online browsing today) I discovered that Mr.Hobby do an acrylic paint WITH specific RLM colours.

Has anyone used both? ... the price looks comparable ... Are the RLM colours more or less accurate?

How do they compare in use and finish?

I use Tamiya and Mr Hobby Aqueous acrylics.  As far as I'm concerned they're very nearly the same, to the extent that you can inter-mix them, and use Tamiya X-20A thinners to thin both - I do exactly that.

On 9/21/2019 at 2:27 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

Once you've used them, the finish provided by Tamiya's acrylics will suddenly seem chalky and rough by comparison. A tip I've used for a long time now to combat that is to add a drop or two of gloss clear to the mix to smooth out the finish.

HTH,

Kev

Agreed, I do that too, in fact I think I got the idea from Kev.

• 1 month later...

Hello - The Mr. Hobby Aqueous paints are my favorite, as discussed, they work well with Tamiya and I can use the techniques I've developed with both paints. I know there are a ton of other paints to pick from now, but I like the results of Tamiya and Mr. Hobby. This may have been discussed before, but I just can't find a reliable source to ship to the US. 

I've used BNA for a while and I thought I was set...but now they no longer ship overseas. I've used Seal Models, Ebay and Lucky Models but they don't seem to ever restock, especially RLM colors. Also, they will only ship 6 paints at a time.

Anyway, maybe I need to move on to another brand or just mix Tamiya, but I just can't seem to let it go.

If anyone has any suggestions for a reliable shop that will ship to the US, I would be grateful.

Thank you.

airedale

Why doesn't Tamiya just produce a military-color line of paints that parallel Gunze Aqueous and eliminate mixing? I too like Gunze Aqueous acrylics and Tamiya acrylics. Hello GSI Creos marketing, your American market wants Aqueous paint back. Hello Tamiya Marketing, GSI Creos left the American market leaving you a market-void to fill. Just fill it with paint selections we don't have to mix. Our modeling time is challenged and it would save time if we did not have to mix. 

I hope this does not fall on continued deaf ears.

Just sayin'

Jager