Jump to content
Mel

A6M5 Zero (model52) color of the cockpit and of the interior frames of the cabin.

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, I have only two questions

 

 

What is the cockpit color of the Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero Fighter Model52, would the IJN XF-71 be correct?

And the interior frames of the cockpit cockpit of this model are the same color of the cockpit, the color of the fuselage (in this case green) or black?

The model that I have and for the moment I will build is the Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero Fighter Model52 (tamiya 1:32)

 

105961-10911-pristine.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you building a Nakajima or Mitsubishi built machine. Your box top image

shows a Nakajima machine with the up swooping camo demarcation line near

the horizontal stabilizers. Mitsubishi's camo was a straight line to the tail cone,

no "upsweep". The cockpit for the Mitsubishi was darker than the Nakajima ones.

See here.-John

http://www.j-aircraft.com/faq/A6M.htm#Mitsubishi 'cockpit color' on Type 22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kurfurst4 said:

Are you building a Nakajima or Mitsubishi built machine. Your box top image

shows a Nakajima machine with the up swooping camo demarcation line near

the horizontal stabilizers. Mitsubishi's camo was a straight line to the tail cone,

no "upsweep". The cockpit for the Mitsubishi was darker than the Nakajima ones.

See here.-John

http://www.j-aircraft.com/faq/A6M.htm#Mitsubishi 'cockpit color' on Type 22

Thank you for the answer, but in the box (the photo box is the same as my model) is the Mitsubishi A56M Zero (ZEKE), could it be that TAMIYA was wrong to name the model? by the way I don't see the 52 model in the link that happened to me

 

And one last doubt, as I asked before, then the cabin being darker would be different from TAMIYA's Xf-71 color, right? and the interior frames of the cabin what color would they be? black, the same color of the cockpit or the same color of the fuselage?

 

 

So this would be the right one for this model, right?

 

Mitsubishi_Zero-Yasukuni.jpg

Edited by Mel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Kurfurst4 said:

Are you building a Nakajima or Mitsubishi built machine. Your box top image

shows a Nakajima machine with the up swooping camo demarcation line near

the horizontal stabilizers. Mitsubishi's camo was a straight line to the tail cone,

no "upsweep". The cockpit for the Mitsubishi was darker than the Nakajima ones.

See here.-John

http://www.j-aircraft.com/faq/A6M.htm#Mitsubishi 'cockpit color' on Type 22

Sorry to quote you again, I have searched other sites too and on this website the Mitsubishi A6M5 type 52 the color matches as in the box and the instructions

http://www.j-aircraft.com/walk/walkarou.htm

 

 

 

Edited by Mel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your image from above is painted as a Mitsubishi built A6M5.  Notice the demarcation line between the green and the grey under the horizontal stabilizer.

 

MwpzWIu.jpg

 

Below is an A6M5 painted  (poorly) as a Nakajima built A6M5

 

mWGA1oY.jpg

 

Notice the upward sweeping demarcation line between the green and the grey from the trailing edge of the wing to the leading edge of the horizontal stablilier.  This "swoop" as we call it, is indicative of all Nakajima built A6M5's.

 

No, XF-71 is not correct, it's not even close...I really don't know where Tamiya got that color from to be honest.  The cockpit color for a Nakajima manufactured A6M5 will be a grayish-yellow-green similar to but distinctly more yellow than RAF interior green.  The cockpit color for Mitsubishi built A6M5's will be closer to US Interior green but darker.  If you let me know what paint line you're planning on using, I might be able to let you know if they have these colors already available of if you'll need to mix them.

 

For ease of painting, everything structural behind the rollover bulkead (behind the pilot's seat) would be painted aotake.  In all reality, there was a floatation bag at frame 7 so everything that Tamiya has behind there would not have been able to be seen on an A6M5 during it's time in service.

 

Here's Ryan Toew's tweak list for the Tamiya A6M5 kit...it's worth your time if you want to be as accurate as possible.  https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=3332

 

Also, there's a top notch article by Jim Lansdale here: http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/zeroclr.htm

Edited by Juggernut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

As far as I know the floatation bags disappeared during the A6M3 production (probably from the type 32).

 

Can you provide me a reference for that information?  Everything I'm finding indicates (visually...the inflation control and tubing are in the cockpit, the mushroom-ended hand holds that retracted into the fuselage) indicates that the wing and fuselage floatation bags were installed at least through the A6M5 production.  Every reference I can find shows the inflation control on the left side of the cockpit behind the trim wheels.  I could be mistaken but I don't believe those items would be there if the bags weren't installed...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Your image from above is painted as a Mitsubishi built A6M5.  Notice the demarcation line between the green and the grey under the horizontal stabilizer.

 

MwpzWIu.jpg

 

Below is an A6M5 painted  (poorly) as a Nakajima built A6M5

 

mWGA1oY.jpg

 

Notice the upward sweeping demarcation line between the green and the grey from the trailing edge of the wing to the leading edge of the horizontal stablilier.  This "swoop" as we call it, is indicative of all Nakajima built A6M5's.

 

No, XF-71 is not correct, it's not even close...I really don't know where Tamiya got that color from to be honest.  The cockpit color for a Nakajima manufactured A6M5 will be a grayish-yellow-green similar to but distinctly more yellow than RAF interior green.  The cockpit color for Mitsubishi built A6M5's will be closer to US Interior green but darker.  If you let me know what paint line you're planning on using, I might be able to let you know if they have these colors already available of if you'll need to mix them.

 

For ease of painting, everything structural behind the rollover bulkead (behind the pilot's seat) would be painted aotake.  In all reality, there was a floatation bag at frame 7 so everything that Tamiya has behind there would not have been able to be seen on an A6M5 during it's time in service.

 

Here's Ryan Toew's tweak list for the Tamiya A6M5 kit...it's worth your time if you want to be as accurate as possible.  https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=3332

 

Also, there's a top notch article by Jim Lansdale here: http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/zeroclr.htm

Hi Jugernaut, thank you very much for your answer and your help, I am very happy that you tell me that, I was planning to use Tamiya, Mr hobby,AK,MRP... or at least know what mix of paint I have to use, it would be appreciated to help with the paint of the cockpit .

Another thing, the bottom fuselage is not white right, it has gray, right?

I was looking and I've seen this, I don't know if it's right, what do you think?

zerointcolors.jpg

 

 

 

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2008/06/zero-interior-colours.html?m=1

 

 

 

in theory Mr. Hobby has the color

 

 

Mr%20Colour126.jpg

 

Mr%20Colour127.jpg

Edited by Mel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Juggernut said:

 

Can you provide me a reference for that information?  Everything I'm finding indicates (visually...the inflation control and tubing are in the cockpit, the mushroom-ended hand holds that retracted into the fuselage) indicates that the wing and fuselage floatation bags were installed at least through the A6M5 production.  Every reference I can find shows the inflation control on the left side of the cockpit behind the trim wheels.  I could be mistaken but I don't believe those items would be there if the bags weren't installed...

 

Sorry, I checked and indeed my memory failed. The type 32 still had it. At least TM said it. Regarding the A6M5, I do not know why they removed it. This was possibly linked to the relocation of components in the rear fuselage, the fact they were now using zeros ashore, the fact they possibly realized this was not that useful, the intention to simplify production? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very useful info, so thank you all and esp to Juggernut

 

as many will know MRP do not (yet) make any designated Japanese colours, but they do have a very large selection of colours 

 

it it may be easier for us to match to what they already make if we have credible colour swatches to work from

 

so what do you think of those offered by Mel

 

thanks again to all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's weird that the Tamiya call-out for "interior green" on their zero kits is so far off either of the 2 interior choices.

 

This is a Japanese company making a Japanese icon.  You would think they would have access to the right resources or information to get the color more or less exactly right.

 

I know they have many different gray colors for their 1/700 and 1/350 IJN ship models...representing the differing grays used at the different ship building arsenals in Japan.   Maybe those are off too!
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Zeros were called Mitsubishi even when built by Nakajima. This practice is true with a lot of planes built by many manufactures to keep demands. We are fortunate with the Zero in that the manufacturer can be identified by the paint job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...