1/24th Trumpeter BF-109

Neo

HI Guys 

After finishing my Dragon BF-110 for the multi engine group build i decided to start on this beauty

Trumpeter 1/24 BF-109G-6
Maketar paint mask JG 53 yellow 7
Master Barrels MG-131

I started the build with the engine 

dyul1xl.jpg

J04Vwie.jpg

gsntMpo.jpg

omYWmqg.jpg

on the side line i prepared and painted the exhaust with Alclad manifold

Izk3lKJ.jpg

HxM8dYj.jpg

While working on the cockpit i decide i wanted to try making some seat belts Using Champagne bottle foil and some small copper  wires i came up with this. 
i know they are not perfect but i'm quite happy for a first time

xBzdbhi.jpg

6XmQMha.jpg

rqSHF7n.jpg

Next up will be the cockpit and the side walls 

Thank for looking

8 hours ago, crobinsonh said:

Lovely start

Thanks

you saved me from being the second person to post in my post :thumbsup:

MOre progress 

Next up the cockpit

the call out is RLM66, since im using Humbrol, the closet match i found was #27

Ip was painted and i use Testor window maker to make the lenses

ML4l7oY.jpg

the side walls where a bit nude so i added the oxygen hose and the blue hoses(not sure what they are for) using soldering wire 
4m5HRlo.jpg

ivG9Ukp.jpg

VEkzDoo.jpg

while paint was drying i started assembling the wings

gX1MGdh.jpg

and added the weld seam on the scoop

oi9Ibck.jpg

i had cut the original barrels and installed the Master ones witch are beauties, but they have a huge flaw, they are too short!
i pullled the oold barrels (thank god i never throw anything away) mesured the missing lenght, then cut the and merged them together

ThiU2DC.jpg

Next step installing the cockpit

• 2 weeks later...

Alright Update time

Here we have the cockpit before going into the fuselage

AMuzYyn.jpg

and Voila! Seams are pretty decent, i simply scraped off the tamiya extra thin excess, the applied a coat or Tamiya surface primer by brush. Once dried i did a first pass with a Q-Tip in Mineral spirit to get the primera bit wet and back into the gap. Once dry i lightly sanded using 800 grit plus.  a use my scriber and rivetter to clean up the details.

gOleKs8.jpg

on this one you can see i did a test spray with my new Mr Color white that i just received. i must say its a fun paint to use. to bad its so hard to get 

dJfyNyb.jpg

last night i painted the interior of the canopy. Then installed it. For the front i added some plastic card since the windshield was just a little too low. 

uHdB3B2.jpg

h3sJH4X.jpg

Im really happy on how this one is turning out. 

thanks for looking

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 12:56 AM, Gerhard said:

Very nice work. 

Thank you

On 10/2/2019 at 4:17 AM, bdthoresen said:

Neo, 

So far so good. I like the harness solution you came up with, quite old school. 

I believe eve the blue lines on the right sidewalk were the oxygen supply lines from the O2 bottles to the regulator.

Keep up the nice work!

THOR    :ph34r:

Thanks thor, i think your right about that blue line make sense to be oxigen

On 10/2/2019 at 9:17 AM, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely work for sure 

Thanks Brian

On 10/2/2019 at 10:26 PM, Gazzas said:

That's a great start!  Engine and interior look tops!  So happy to see you've filled in some panel lines.

Gaz

Thank Gaz, im really loving that engine, im going to leave one side and the bottom open

On 10/2/2019 at 11:14 PM, Mel said:

I stay here to see your magnificent progress

:blush:

Well here a 2 in one update. 

ive made some real good progress with this build. Tonight ive made it to the primer stage! 

first up i completed the installation of the glass and the seat belts. (remember they are custom made i.e not perfect)

3vSoWXP.jpg

The next step was to install the wings. Little tape to help with the joints. I must say this has to be the best wing root seam ive ever had! 
0 putty , 0 filling of any kind. light sanding to get rid of the Tamiya extra thin that decided to peek out.

Ic5742a.jpg

apshcLa.jpg

Now the bottom rear seam well you know what they say when something is perfect somewhere its ugly somewhere else! 

here it is with glue and mechanical persuasion. I added some plastic card in there before putty to make sure it stays nice and strong

qKbh8PE.jpg

So the second part of the update is what i manage to do today 

i installer the spare canopy to make marking easier. I also had to remove the barrels from the main guns to make painting easier

Using some very weak glue i put the panels in place. i will be displaying one side of the engine open once painting is done. 
RfSY9fv.jpg

And the final part i purchased some Alclad black surface primer, ive been meaning to try it out and im planning to do a black bassing finish just like on my BF110C.

I must say ive heard so many bad things about this primer i was not sure how this would go. 

at the moment im really satisfied. 

hWpchDA.jpg

this baby look like a pirate all dressed in black and 2 wooden peg legs! 

lastly ,while contemplating the paint scheme i noticed this plane has this pattern on the leading edge. and to my disappointment that part is not supplied in the montex mask (K24025) ill be doing yellow 7 JG53(top one in the image below)
im thinking of using my kids style scissors to make some out of tamiya take but i feel its going to be a PITA to get right. Any ideas?
K24025.jpg

More soon 

thanks for looking 

Edited by Neo

looks real good

i haven't seen one of these built up in a long while

seat belts look cool

children's scissors may actually be an awesome solution, assuming you don't want to airbrush?

or you could try dress-making scissors, which may have a similar serrated edge?

regarding the wingroot seams: i'd much rather have a black hole to fix underneath (not that yours is that bad) - trying to fix errors inside a right angle joint is one of the tediums of aircraft modelling that I wish manufacturers would find a solution for!

thanks for sharing

Nick

It's looking great!  Regarding the jagged leading edge camouflage...I have handled this in the past simply by rolling out a long strip of masking tape long enough to match the wing length, and then use a pencil to mark the curvy line.  It might take a few tries to get it looking correct....then cut along the line and you have a mask ready to go.  

I'm sure you'll get this part of the build looking good too!

On 10/12/2019 at 5:12 AM, nmayhew said:

looks real good

i haven't seen one of these built up in a long while

seat belts look cool

children's scissors may actually be an awesome solution, assuming you don't want to airbrush?

or you could try dress-making scissors, which may have a similar serrated edge?

regarding the wingroot seams: i'd much rather have a black hole to fix underneath (not that yours is that bad) - trying to fix errors inside a right angle joint is one of the tediums of aircraft modelling that I wish manufacturers would find a solution for!

thanks for sharing

Nick

Thanks nick. 

Not sure what you mean by  ", assuming you don't want to airbrush?" i will be airbrushing the model, so you mean free and the leading edge ? 

im going to give them a try and see what comes out.

Stay tuned

Thanks guys for the nice comments. 

Im really going to try out those scissors on some spare  tamiya tape and see out it goes. they are plastic kids version so not holding my breath

today i when and applied the RLM76 ( Humbrol 126) to the bottom of the plane using the Black bassing technique.

While applying the paint and looking at the profile i decided to try something new, ive always did the mottle on the side of luftwaffe birds by applying the main side color then going back to the light color to apply the pattern. This time i told myself i was going to RLM76 base the side color if you get what i mean. So i applied the rlm76 in a very light black bassing, once dry i will apply the RLM 75 using the same technique and see out  that turns out. Now for me this is new discovery, im guessing some of you will be like "Is there any other way" ! 

bHZyt4Z.jpg

vxnkozw.jpg

Once again thanks for following, your comments,critiques, likes really keep the juice flowing! 

Edited by Neo