Franz Stigler and Charles Brown

Mel

On 9/23/2019 at 9:30 PM, Lothar said:

It's kind of a relief to learn from this story that there were also some "other" Germans in this conflict.

There has been a farmer (RIP) in a nearby village from where I live who hid a shot down British pilot

just weeks before wars end in his farm. They became friends as well.

Lothar

Not all Germans were NAZIS (elimination of races, Aryan race, final solution, etc.) that was the follies of a small group of crazy people (see some leaders), almost all Germans, Russians, Japanese, Americans only fought for their countries (it is more in the Nazi Germany I suppose that with all the countries, if you refused to fight because you thought that war was stupid) at that time you were considered a traitor and the punishment was to be shot by treason to the homeland, in this case for betrayal of the reich

They were very hard times, that we all absolutely all must keep in mind

But believe me that apart from the war, there is nothing worse than a civil war like the one we suffered in Spain (something that seems not to interest many people) neighbors killing each other by simple ideology.

My grandparents lived the Spanish civil war first hand (may God have them in their glory), my grandfather fought while my grandmother and other neighbors hid in the subway of Barcelona to take refuge from the bombs ... and it was a horror, the civil war was a horror and a shame for a country, it is the worst that can exist, a civil war

Edited by Mel

13 hours ago, N4521U said:

His personal Bf-108 is at the HARS museum, Australia.

Unable to post a photo, how to get it to URL escapes me.

I think this is the one

16950_1399424953.jpg

Although upon reading, it appears it was repainted in Stiglers colors, but was not the actual airframe he flew. 

After I read A Higher Call, I became curious about the painting on the cover, which I liked. It was quickly apparent, after looking it up online, that buying a giclee print was not going to happen. It was only available on the secondary market and the asking price had skyrocketed due to the popularity of the book. I gave up the idea of buying a print and thought ok, I'll build models of the B-17 and Me109. At the time, I didn't scare up much information on the paint and markings of the two planes, so I called Liberty Studios in order to see if John Shaw would talk to me about the paint schemes. Must have been a slow day at the studio because he answered the phone! Turns out, John is also interested in scale modeling and we had a great conversation that covered many topics. Super nice guy. At one point in the conversation, John said, "Greg, all of the forty giclee prints sold out but a customer of mine that reserved one, backed out of the deal. It's the last one here at the studio, it's yours if you want it." Of course I said I'd like it. John still needed to paint in the finishing touches and when it arrived in the mail, the smell of oil paint and turpentine permeated the package.

I am lucky to have it in my living room and I really enjoy studying it closely. I asked John how he painted flesh tones and it was interesting to hear him describe a method which includes using washes (his term) in order to achieve the effect he's after. I think the term filter applies as well, from the description of the technique. 

48895309766_96120702af_b.jpg

48895317651_c8de52f385_b.jpg

48895522002_0915ab1b0f_b.jpg

Edited by GDW

You should definately find 'A higher cause' and read it.

With regards to the 'not all germans were nazi's' thing, it is something that interests me a lot. I considered writing a book on that topic, even started a little, but recently I stumpled over this book

eSLzav4.jpg

and that's pretty much what I wanted to write (I think, havent read it yet). Oh well - more time for modeling then

Also this book is recommended on the mind of a well known opposer of Hitler

bXlNDTz.jpg

Well I would say you are the lucky man GDW.....

BTW, at the Wagga Wagga aviation museum there is a log book belonged to a Jewish fighter pilot. His family donated it to the display. An interesting piece of German history.

Bill

• 7 months later...

the B-17 model looks very cool, but is let down by the exhaust stains coming out of air vents on the wings - that's a very common mistake

let's stay off the Nazis thing, but more generally, it's a very interesting story...

I wonder how many thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of times this was played out over the course of the war once one considers infantry engagements?

and for every one of those, how many times it came back to bite the guy who didn't pull the trigger in the arse?

yes I know that doesn't give one the warm glow inside, so let's just dwell on Ye Olde Pub - such a cool name too!

Nick 

This story reminds me of the 1943 occurrence in a smaller "scale" of my signed print from Robert S. Johnson where he was trapped in his P-47 from damage and a pursuing Fw-190a hammered away at him until out of ammo limping over the channel, then pulled up beside him in disbelief, wagged his wings and returned to France.

OK, second question: Is there any photographic evidence documenting the nose art or the overall look of this aeroplane? If not are we looking solely at artistic impressions? 

Thank You.

Edited by Martinnfb