How to best bend clear parts?

Hello,

the windshield of my Revell 1/32 Fw 190 is slightly less wide that the fuselage. If I stretch it by hand, it fits, but I don’t want to use CA glue and fear that it will either not stay in place or snap back later. Is there a good way to slightly bend/stretch clear parts? Warm water bath?

Cheers

Roger

Well, that's tricky, the way IM parts are constructed/moulded could be a problem trying to "re-shape" its original fit.

You might want to try warm water but i don't think that would be the solution.

You might also try to heat it with a precise heat source but then that would be trial and  error, so you don't want to do that either.

I think the best solution is your original idea of stretching, but not using CA glue but slow setting epoxy glue instead, at least that's how i managed to do the same thing on one of my kits.

just my two pennies,

J.

Thanks Jack for your recommendations. I tried a hot water bath last night and it did indeed work. I only needed the windshield ca 0.5-1.0mm wider at the base and I am glad that it worked. I guess if I had to stretch/deform it more, a hot water bath would not have been the solution, but the epoxy you recommended.

Cheers

Roger

10 hours ago, VintageEagle said:

Thanks Jack for your recommendations. I tried a hot water bath last night and it did indeed work. I only needed the windshield ca 0.5-1.0mm wider at the base and I am glad that it worked. I guess if I had to stretch/deform it more, a hot water bath would not have been the solution, but the epoxy you recommended.

Cheers

Roger

Glad it worked out!  I was going to post not to use a hair dryer!  

I totally ruined the clear plastic windshield on a 1/24 Ferrari road car kit.  It needed to be slightly bent and I gave it a very short blast with the hairdryer.  I was amazed at how quickly it warped and got destroyed.

I have never used the hairdryer for this sort of thing since.  Warm/hot water is the way to go I think.