Trumpeter P-40F Experiment with Vallejo Metal Color

dmthamade

Thank you for showing us this beautiful build!  It's a real inspiration for me since i have a big NMF project started and have been fretting over how best to do it.  I really like the Vallejo paints, so your results make me very happy.

May I ask which colors did you use?  Model Color or Model Air?

51 minutes ago, daveculp said:

Thank you for showing us this beautiful build!  It's a real inspiration for me since i have a big NMF project started and have been fretting over how best to do it.  I really like the Vallejo paints, so your results make me very happy.

May I ask which colors did you use?  Model Color or Model Air?

I used the Vallejo Metal Color line. Just as easy to use as the Model Air. https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/categoria/hobby/metal-color-en/

Stuff is really durable, used Tamiya tape, green painters tape to mask with no lifting or staining of paint. Dries quickly to handle. Instructions say to wait 12 hrs before masking, I pushed that to 1-2 hrs. Colors used...I can't remember. Except for the panels around the exhaust, I didn't have big differences in shades, I stayed away from really bright colors. I'm thinking 701, 702, 703, 706, 716, 717. Only thing I find is a must, and this is from personal experience, is to NOT use the recommended primer, Gloss black 660. Stuff laid down beautifully, but pulled up with color coat, very frustrating!!! I used tried and true Tamiya Primer, finish is bulletproof. I have tried the paint over other colors and paint types with no lifting problems. Don't know how these paints would work if you wanted a new/shiny finish, i'm thinking maybe prime with Tamiya Gloss Black, either from rattlecan or bottle X-1 thinned with Mr. Color Thinner. I airbrushed these at low pressure, 15-20 PSI, using a Testors Aztek with Tan tip.

Don

Edited by dmthamade