2 New WNW releases: Göring D.VII and Barker Snipe

ringleheim

1 hour ago, STWilliams said:

Why are WNW doing Goering, of all people? A murdering war criminal, responsible for countless deaths,  is that really what people want to model, paint & display? I don't get it?

He wasn't that in WW1. I have little interest in his figure but I'm not opposed to seeing it modeled. He was the JG lead and had unique markings.

I think your question would fall into that usual question of why model SS or Nazis in general?

Granted it's not the same category of crime, but Randy Cunningham ended up in prison and his jet is probably the modeled USN F-4 in any scale.

Add...Maybe also because he is so (in)famous is a reason why they chose him?

Edited by ziggyfoos

1 hour ago, STWilliams said:

Why are WNW doing Goering, of all people? A murdering war criminal, responsible for countless deaths,  is that really what people want to model, paint & display? I don't get it?

It is an interesting point to me.  I had some thought along those lines when I saw the new announcement.  Herman certainly was not a good human being, he just had the opportunity to go onto far worse things than most vets as his war crimes occurred in the next WW.   I thought of building up a different version of the DVII than his and posing the figure with that plane most people don’t know what young Goering looked like.  I am not that interested in the pure white scheme personally but this is a chance to get the kit and use other markings with it.  

I don’t have any problem though with this packaging and posing the figure with the plane.  I am not certain that modeling young Herman next to his plane is entirely relevant to his behavior later.

That in s it for me. The plain white bird as opposed to so many other colorful schemes.

Fatty himself as a WWI pilot is only so interesting. ( to me) as for the rest, non of us knows the future, or where we may be or do.

8 hours ago, STWilliams said:

People build kits with Swastikas on them, so I don't really see the difference. If you're going to say that a kit depicting Goering shouldn't be made, then logically you should also be opposed to any model of anything German from the period 1933-45.

7 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I don’t have any problem though with this packaging and posing the figure with the plane.  I am not certain that modeling young Herman next to his plane is entirely relevant to his behavior later.

It's not, not at all. He was also one of the relatively small batch of pilots that was awarded a Blue Max during WWI, so there is historical significance there.

It's kind of a slippery slope to go down this path.

My immediate reaction to the Göring kit was the following, all of which made me say "I am not buying this kit."

1) I already have 2 Fokker D.VIIs in my stash

2) Göring's all white plane is very boring

3) Göring was a total scumbag of a human and I, personally, don't want to build a model of his airplane.

I do not have a problem with WNW choosing this subject matter, however.

Edited by ringleheim

When I saw it I did think for a few seconds hmmm...is there not another ace they could have done? 

But for me and I imagine for most it is about modelling- interest and cost. It’s just he became a repugnant figure and his image isn’t what everyone wants to see.

8 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

Eduard released Goerings Albatros years ago.  Did anyone make a hue and cry back then? 

Indeed. The old Revell 1/72 Fokker D.VII has been released over the years with Goering's aicraft as a decal option as well.

32869632.JPG

I also seem to recall that there were murmurs of discontent from various quarters when WNW released the W.29 without including decals for Friedrich Christiansen's aircraft - and he turned out to be a Nazi war criminal too. So much discontent, in fact, that WNW went with his aircraft as the sole option for the W.29 in the Felixstowe Dualists set...

Edited by vince14

I was thinking about this morning on the way into work...I think for me, the idea of how to pull off the all white finish and make it interesting is the challenge...give what could be a very dull and boring paint scheme some life.... haven't decided yet as I have way too many projects and one more won't help.

Just my thoughts...not important.

P