Jennings Heilig

P-38 Weirdness - riddle me this!

Also early P-40s had a bead sight ?       When will the decals be ready?  I need the Sandman!!!!!

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Maybe they used the bead sight as a reference when dropping bombs or strafing at low level? Seems like the reflex sight might be a little tougher to use in those roles.

Tim

PS, you need to make these in 1/32 NOW, don't wait for someone to make the kit. I have at least two conversions, so I'd buy a set for sure.

Edited by BiggTim

On 9/15/2019 at 12:42 PM, LSP_K2 said:

I saw one of these kits at the show yesterday, but the guy wanted a bit too much for it. Interestingly, I've yet to see any OD or neutral gray hobby paints that really look right to me, so I may have to mix my own for my big Lightning.

Remember, some units in Europe used more available British green, and American OD became brown with age. This was told me by SSGT Marine, Chief Mechanic on Mag Gillard’s planes during WW2.

13 minutes ago, Fred Jack said:

Remember, some units in Europe used more available British green, and American OD became brown with age. This was told me by SSGT Marine, Chief Mechanic on Mag Gillard’s planes during WW2.

I won't dispute that RAF Dark Green may have been used by some USAAF units, but I don't think it was anything like widespread.  The US had a very robust supply pipeline to the UK and the MTO, especially after early 1943, and there were plenty of stocks of OD and Neutral Gray available for corrosion control and damage repair.  That came to me from Merle Olmstead, who was a P-51 crew chief.

Edited by Jennings Heilig