The best brand of resin kits? (especially cockpits)

Mel

Well guys, I'm already in the process of being 100% operational and I wanted to know which is the best manufacturer of resin kits especially for cockpits, I will start the Tamiya 1:32 phantom F4J and I wanted to install a resin cockpit and combine it with the eduard photoetches, but the question is this ... which one or which are the best resin manufacturers? that has a good fixation with the kit and that does not suffer problems with cyanoacrylate

As always, thanks in advance for your answers

Edited by Mel

16 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

The Black Box Combat series cockpits were pretty good, but QC kind of went down when Squadron took them over. Also Aires are highly detailed and nice when they fit (sometimes have issues). I don't remember the errors for each of the sets, though.

16 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I too find Aires nice, but the fit on  some the older stuff is questionable. 

guys, thanks for your answers, I still have a lot of questions but I don't want to be a bother, I will calmly look at these two brands, the AIRES brand knew her, but I've never worked anything on resin

20 hours ago, Ryan said:

No bother Mel, ask away.

Ryan

15 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I have to be honest - I don’t buy Aires stuff any longer.  I’ve ruined too many kits trying to get their stuff to fit, and it simply wouldn’t.  Others have had the same experience.  The stuff looks gorgeous, but most often it simply doesn’t fit.  They also have a bad habit of repackaging the same parts while claiming that they’re designed for two different kits.

15 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

No bother, we're all here to share our experience !!

9xP5fhN.jpg?1

Thank you for your always kind words, I am very comfortable in this forum, you are great people

Thanks for your opinions, regarding AIRES resin kits in the end I don't think I'm going to buy them, their opinions have helped me.

In the end my construction for the F-4J will be with photo etched+Gtresin resin Intakes and everything else as standard

Edited by Mel

It is impossible to assemble easily a Phantom kit with a resin pit but the problem is not coming from the aftermarket companies. The culprit is actually... Tamiya ! They cheated as they did not really detail the pit sides. The resin sets use the same dimensions than the kit tub BUT also add inserts to give the missing side details. Even if you sand the ridiculous molded 'detail' within the Tamiya fuselage, this cannot compensate the difference in thickness! This explains the major painful issue to insert resin pits (Aires or Blackbox-Avionix) in any Tamiya Phantom. 

Legend did what was supposed to be an excellent, well fitting 'pit, but unfortunately it was for an E as well as being designed (if I recall correctly) for the Revell kit, which in itself is an OK kit. That doesn't really help with the J though.

I 100% agree with Jennings and also no longer buy Aires sets for the same reason.  The Blackbox F-4J set does fit the Tamiya kit well.

Don't over look the raised patch panels on that kit too. They based their kit on a training aircraft so all those raised panels on the fuselage do not belong, they are patch panels unique to that training air frame they used.. They can be sanded off with a sanding stick pretty easily, just takes an evening of elbow grease. 

A quick google of "tamyia F-4J patch panels" will give you everything you need to look for.

Ron

10 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Legend did what was supposed to be an excellent, well fitting 'pit, but unfortunately it was for an E as well as being designed (if I recall correctly) for the Revell kit, which in itself is an OK kit. That doesn't really help with the J though.

Legend pit is indeed tailored for the Revell kit and would not enter in a Tamiya without some serious effort. If the seats are very nice, the tub details and bulkhead are alas a joke... Moreover the side IP of the plastic kit look better than the resin ones! Without the seats and nice side inserts, I would surely not recommend it.