Airfix decal booboo?

docdodj01

I hate calling this nitpicking.  So a received the 1/24 hellcat as a birthday gift last month.  After having time to look over the parts in details, I then checked the markings.  I was planning to do Charles Brown Sharkmouth hellcat, since for me, this was fought in the Philippines where I live.  I did research on the aircraft, too look for weathering and all of that, but on looking at his plane, is seems to be an early F6F-5 with the quarter panel window at behind the pilot.  Am I mistaken?

what is the serial number of the aircraft you are doing?

that will help others search for pictures.

alternatively, if you have already done the research yourself, post the pics here and let others help with the interpretation etc

Starting with builds in the smaller scale, including looking at profile images, most (I'd say 95%) comes out with early dash 5 variant with the rear windows.  That started me digging more information, and looked for the actual aircraft of VF27.  On searching, I obviously found the October 1944 image with paper doll just landing on USS Essex after Princeton got severely damaged by a kamikaze attack.  Here's the image:

vf27.jpg

Zooming in:

piczoom.jpg

Rear window outlined:

piczoomoutlined.jpg

So I'm in a quandary.  I'm considering making my own markings for death and destruction, I'll just scratch the markings; hopefully it should be easy enough.

Edited by docdodj01

Now I'm not saying I'm hating on the kit.  I ACTUALLY LOVE IT. IT IS ABOUT TIME WE HAD A TRULY ACCURATE LARGE SCALE HELLCAT. But I wish the research on the markings was done a little more thoroughly.  Hopefully aftermarket will come up with more markings we can choose from. :) I plan to partner the kit with my Trumpeter 1/24 A6M2, I plan to build in the future. :)

Thing is, you've highlighted one of the windows in the sliding part of the canopy, but there is a similar effect on that side of the front canopy. I'd just build it as is, who can prove you wrong?

A search of profiles results in some with, some without rear windows. Oh for a - 3 conversion... 

Having looked at your pictures I think you are pushing the boundaries of making too many assumptions that there is a side window under the open canopy,  just my thoughts there is too much glare and enlarging the picture does not help.

As a little bit of further information I am looking to produce some decal options and some conversion and detail sets for the Hellcat, and some of these include points raised just in the few posts above. I do not want to divulge too much information just yet, hope to in the next 2-3 weeks have some further details. (Just in case you do not know me and or my products, you can find me at aerocraftmodels.com)

i already have some undercarriage and tyre options for the Hellcat.

Ali

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Carl Brown's "Paper Doll" was an early -5 and did have the rear quarter window.  Carl Brown was one of my professors at Embry-Riddle, and I've built his airplane about three or four times in the past 40 years.

Thank you! These images are digutal, got them online. But I have the Great Book of World War 2 Airplanes, and in the Hellcat section, clear to me that there is a window there.  I’ve done research on the production number for Paper Doll, but nothing’s come up.

3 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Having looked at your pictures I think you are pushing the boundaries of making too many assumptions that there is a side window under the open canopy,  just my thoughts there is too much glare and enlarging the picture does not help.

As a little bit of further information I am looking to produce some decal options and some conversion and detail sets for the Hellcat, and some of these include points raised just in the few posts above. I do not want to divulge too much information just yet, hope to in the next 2-3 weeks have some further details. (Just in case you do not know me and or my products, you can find me at aerocraftmodels.com)

i already have some undercarriage and tyre options for the Hellcat.

Ali

Actually I’m very familiar with your site! I’ve been meaning to snatch the Phantom brass legs for my 1/32 F-4G. Hopefully soon! :-) you do really nice work!

5 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Thing is, you've highlighted one of the windows in the sliding part of the canopy, but there is a similar effect on that side of the front canopy. I'd just build it as is, who can prove you wrong?

A search of profiles results in some with, some without rear windows. Oh for a - 3 conversion... 

I’ll still build the kit, it is one of my favorites actually.  It’s just that, they might have done a little more research on what markings are appropriate for late dash 5. For example, Death and Destruction would be a nice addition. :-)

I do not want to divulge too much information just yet, hope to in the next 2-3 weeks have some further details. (Just in case you do not know me and or my products, you can find me at aerocraftmodels.com)i already have some undercarriage and tyre options for the Hellcat.

I intend to order these marvelous pieces as well but you now have me intrigued. I will await the new release and puta arger order in. I hope F3 windows :)