Revell P-51D-5NA "Frenesi"

Winnie

I just decided to pick this one out of the stash as a palate cleanse, as I come to the finish line on one more Sea King.

The Lynx got a coat of paint, so it is not forgotten either, but this think has been calling my name since it arrived. it was a raffle price and I was very happy to get it!

The kit is the Revell P-51D

XOX8Xra.jpg

Aftermarket:

HGW Seatbelts, Barracuda seat, Yahu Panel

TuKDWM2.jpg

I'll try not to bog myself down as I usually do, so few posts, but will show some progress. My new work schedule will also allow more frequent postings as I now work 2 weeks on/2 weeks off! Of course I leave next wednesday for work, but hey, I'll be back!

Cheers

Harald

A little update before I travel to work!

Cockpit is mostly complete, used the Tamiya "Old seat" that Anthony Wan supplied, rather than the nice Barracuda one, we shall see if that gets used, as I have a DIFFERENT Barracuda set for my Tamiya 'stang.

Cockpit sides, center part and instrument panel (Yahu), Seat belts are HGW, and this is the first time I used chipping (on the seat), so it is a bit heavy.

R65V8wl.jpg

Cockpit installed, large opening behind the seat, but it isn't glued yet. there will be a tiny crack, but I hope some filler will sort it out. If you look hard you can see the clamp holding the bottom together

dTzCu6e.jpg

Same seen the other way

utTANIt.jpg

The kit is going together quite quickly, but the fit isn't all that good, some flash and some fiddling to get things to mesh properly. I guess this is why they call it modelling!

Hope to be back in 2 weeks to continue the escapade!

Cheers

H.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, had 7 rushed days at home, A wedding, fall outdoor chores, running around... Not a lot of time, but some progress on the Mustang!

The Yahu panel did not fit at all... Not even a little, so I had to whip out the kit panel and the alternate instrument panel shroud. The masks from Eduard arrived and were [ut into use right away. 

Fit some tailplanes and various parts on, but there will need to be a LOT of filling and sanding. the gun port panels did not fit at all, and the cabin seems about 3 mm to wide, so the canopy does not fit either, this very well could be operator issues, but I will hide it somehow. The kit requires more love than what I initially thought, but it's getting there. I'll throw some putty on and sand when I get home in 3 weeks time!!

The cockpit, don't look too close... the seat came loose, so I have stored it out of the way.

E6bd4dB.jpg

The sideview. Looks OK-ish, but there will need to be some putty work. this won't be a competition winner for sure, but it will look good next to the Hobbycraft P-51A!

rTolOcn.jpg

Cheers

H.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers peeps!

OK, a little bit has happened.

Got the flying surfaces on, flight controls and windshield, and did a little filling on the fuselage and wings. There is still some work to be done and the realization that I used the wrong color on the glare shield, Canopy and windshield inner surfaces.. .drat. Won't be going anywhere but my shelf anyway so not too big of a worry. I am most decidedly done with Revell kits after this and the Lynx!

Anyway, some images:

Wheelwells. Th fitment of the gun panels was horrid, I dunno if this was due to me being a hamfisted idiot, or due to the fact that the pieces... well... don't fit...

iqzMwwG.jpg

Topsides, filling around the guns and the tail, primed. Still some flaws need repairing there but I won't do too much more.

H2U9KVv.jpg

Prop and spinner. May have to redo it, but I don't know what degree curve to cut the tape, with manual templates I have tried from 15 to 40mm, nothing seem to work right. I may have to use some fancy math and my wife's silhouette machine.

Y1WfDgs.jpg

Cheers for watching!

Harald