Help needed to remove a misaligned prop (superglued)

dutik

Dear friends,

got some trouble with a near-completion LSP model: I misaligned the prop axle.

I replaced the prop axle with piano wire and glued the prop with superglue onto the engine front. Well, I misaligned the prop axle.

Problem: The whole model, also engine and prop are fully painted and wheatered. There is a spinner on top, it is sitting somewhat inside the cowling, so no room to use some kind of saw or nippers. And the axle is not of styrene, but of steel...

Brute force is no option.

Sawing/nipping is no option.

Freezing is no option (the model is full of PE and other stuff, also painted).

Maybe I am able to drop some debonder between spinner and engine? This means repainting of the engine, but hey...

Any other ideas how to remove the prop/spinner assembly withput destroing the whole model?

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

Hey Dutik,

If you do decide to use de-bonder, just be EXTRA careful with it, and I would suggest trying some out on some of the plastic from the kit before every trying it on your T-6...............

I got a splash of CA on the vertical fin of my RAAF P-40. I used de-bonder on it, and it was only on there for a second or two before it started hazing and melting the plastic. This is after wiping it off immediately after seeing it:

WIP_P40_52-XL.jpg

Well, this is piano wire. Much harder than just plain steel wire. Any styrene will crumble away long before. No chance to push it into the correct position.

As for the debonder - I use nitromethane, not acetone. Nitromethane is used to fuel RC engines or to boost full size combustion engines. Maybe I will be able to wrap seal the engine and col insides with Tamiya tape to apply some debonder. I ponder this option.

Regards

- dutik

CA normally starts to break down at approx +80 °C. So try to boil the prop assembly in water. No warranty however! :-)

Just noted ... you can´t remove the prop from the model ... hmmmm

Edited by 109

Honestly, I think you're stuck with brute force, sorry. That's a bummer.

Edit: Wait a sec.. could you gently remove the entire engine and cowl from the airframe, and drill through the back of the engine until you reach the shaft? Maybe you could push it out the front once the back is free? That way any damage would be hidden inside the cowl? Just a thought.

Tim

Edited by BiggTim