Guadalcanal book?

Woody V

One of the things I enjoy most about building models is learning the history surrounding them so I'm planning to build an SBD of the Cactus Air Force and would like to get recommendations for books on the subject that would not only have interesting profiles but also excellent narrative on their combat experience.

Thanks for any help.

I don't have a book recommendation for you, but I am the same in terms of enjoying the history behind the model kits.

One really interesting aspect of places like Guadalcanal and many other battle locations in the Pacific War with Japan is that some of these places are so remote, the War can still be seen and felt there.  Time has sort of left them as they were around the time of the war and I would imagine a number of these places would be fascinating to visit.

In contrast, it is hard to "see" WWII in Europe.  Time has rolled forward with constant human interaction with the sites and they are nothing like what they once were, for the most part.  Some exceptions, of course.  

7 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

One of the things I enjoy most about building models is learning the history surrounding them so I'm planning to build an SBD of the Cactus Air Force and would like to get recommendations for books on the subject that would not only have interesting profiles but also excellent narrative on their combat experience.

Thanks for any help.

Woody

I highly recommend this book regarding the Guadalcanal air campaign:

https://www.amazon.com/First-Team-Guadalcanal-Campaign-November/dp/1591144728

HTH,

D.B.

I've got This is Guadalcanal, The Original Combat Photography by L. Douglas Keeney and William S. Butler.  There's a good many aircraft shots but it's not the entire book.  This book covers a lot of the ground war too.  It's not too expensive; I found it listed on Amazon for $1.39 (used) and $9.99 (new).  I like the book as the photography is striking.  You can see it here.

14 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

I highly recommend this book regarding the Guadalcanal air campaign:

https://www.amazon.com/First-Team-Guadalcanal-Campaign-November/dp/1591144728

13 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I've got This is Guadalcanal, The Original Combat Photography by L. Douglas Keeney and William S. Butler.  There's a good many aircraft shots but it's not the entire book.  This book covers a lot of the ground war too.  It's not too expensive; I found it listed on Amazon for $1.39 (used) and $9.99 (new).  I like the book as the photography is striking.  You can see it here.

THANK YOU!

18 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Thanks, just ordered a copy.

Cheers,

D,B,