Pup7309

Will plastic ever be replaced?

Esoteric question for the scientific and futuristic of mind. I wonder if they will invent a material as fluid and light as plastic but stronger and long lasting like porcelain? Will injection moulded kits be anything other than plastic?

Edited by Pup7309

Once nano-engineering is sorted out, nothing is going to be made of plastic.

I have no idea how long that will take though.

What is more likely to change, and sooner, is the "injection molding" part of the equation.

Models are going to be the productive of additive manufacturing processes, and we'll be doing it at home on our own machines, after we have purchased data files for the job.

Again, not sure how far off that is.  Might be a while, but it's just a question of time.

18 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

It's called graphene, and no, im kits will always be plastic. 

Is it cheaper than plastic ? If not, I'm good with plastic.  ;)

I am not worried about this too much.  Plastic for models needs to go away at some point.  Mainly for environmental reasons, however, it is going to be quite a while.  I don’t see it in the short term.  All things change, I would assume our hobby will change or go away at some point.  Although 70 years ago there was no plastic model market at all.  So who knows maybe there will be something that replaces it.  

Plastic will always be there. It will be used to enhance models. Not models with wings, but they will come in several scales / sizes (B, C, D, DD). 

The basic model will be in the early 20's, and there will always be plenty of aftermarket products to enhance landing gear, bumpers, food inlets and rear ends.

On 9/12/2019 at 8:20 AM, cbk57 said:

I am not worried about this too much.  Plastic for models needs to go away at some point.  Mainly for environmental reasons, however, it is going to be quite a while.  I don’t see it in the short term.  All things change, I would assume our hobby will change or go away at some point.  Although 70 years ago there was no plastic model market at all.  So who knows maybe there will be something that replaces it.  

You have hit on a slightly different topic.  My general impression is that young people are not replacing old modelers at nearly a high enough rate to sustain the hobby.  One exception might be Japanese kids and kids around the world interested in Gunpla modeling.  It is the only form of modeling that seems to really appeal to kids that I know of.

The model industry landscape has changed over the years to reflect its aging customer base.  Look at how many expensive kits exist now, elaborate aftermarket bits and pieces, expensive specialized tools, complex techniques, airbrushes, compressors, on and on...

It is all meant to be consumed by an adult with money.  Not give a child a fun, cheap hobby to enjoy.  

When those adults are dead, the modeling industry may not exist.

I.E., the modeling hobby is being sustained right now by people just like me.  Adults who were born at the right time when kids built model kits, and the hobby got in their blood.  That is a mostly finite group and when it is gone, I would suggest modeling will be gone.

In short, not many kids these days, or for the last 20 plus years, heave learned to build models as children and become passionate about the hobby.

During my lifetime alone (born 1971) I have slowly watched the world change in this sense: when I was a kid and young adult, you could go into a wide variety of stores and especially toy stores, and find the "model kit" section with models, paint, brushes, etc.

Probably around 20 years ago, that all disappeared, even from large toy stores!  It is extremely hard to find model related merchandise in America in any store that is not a specialized hobby store now, and in fact, I can't even find a specialized hobby store in my area!  

I agree with everything you just said (I was born 72)...

once we all die, I can't see where the replacements are coming from

on the odd occasion I have been into a real model shop (last time when Model Zone was still going), it was all middle-aged 'anorak' types ie in no way cool enough to inspire a younger generation

FYI I may not inspire either, but I am not an anorak :lol:

I did not mean to bring up or imply that the hobby would go away due to hobbyists aging out.  I am not entirely convinced that such an assumption is true or well based in fact.   We can certainly make a case based upon perusal observation but by nature our personal observations are very limited in scope.  Our perspective often far to limited to our geographical area or our own circle of associates.  Time will tell if the hobby is aging out.  

I only refer to change in technology and a likely move away from oil based products to the extent possible.  Being a recreational item styrene plastic modeling is expendable and in time the use of plastic for plastic models may be forced to go away.  I don't see it as an imminent threat though.