mozart

Australian War Memorial

I visited the Australian War Memorial in Canberra yesterday, my first duty was to buy some poppies to place against some lost aircrew from 467 and 463 squadrons RAAF, killed in action on 3 March 45 along with my father’s friend Max Venton. I got into conversation with Keryn, a staff member and the long and short of it was that she invited me to lay a wreath at the closing ceremony at 5 o’clock. Each day a fallen hero is remembered and their biography read out, yesterday by a lady corporal from the Army, then wreaths are laid followed by the Last Post. 

I felt incredibly honoured and very emotional, not to mention a bit nervous! I dedicated the wreath to all the crews from 467 and 463 squadrons who paid the ultimate sacrifice. Lest we forget:

cuJKkU.jpg

3xZfOU.jpg

gzYl42.jpg

kqlyjp.jpg

Edited by mozart

Thanks chaps for your thoughtful comments. The occasion kind of rounds off my homage to the boys lost that night; I’ve twice visited the Reichswald War Cemetery in NW Germany where most of them are buried to pay my respects, and I go to their home base at Waddington when I can for the Anzac Day commemorative ceremony when the BBMF Lancaster usually does a fly over, but paying tribute in the home country of the RAAF and the AWM in particular was very special and never to be forgotten. 

Definately a fine honour Max, the Australian War Memorial is a must see place if you are in Australia it is a very incredible place, interesting, sobering and emotional all at once.

Cheers

Dennis

On 9/11/2019 at 8:21 AM, mozart said:

I visited the Australian War Memorial in Canberra yesterday, my first duty was to buy some poppies to place against some lost aircrew from 467 and 463 squadrons RAAF, killed in action on 3 March 45 along with my father’s friend Max Venton. I got into conversation with Keryn, a staff member and the long and short of it was that she invited me to lay a wreath at the closing ceremony at 5 o’clock. Each day a fallen hero is remembered and their biography read out, yesterday by a lady corporal from the Army, then wreaths are laid followed by the Last Post. 

I felt incredibly honoured and very emotional, not to mention a bit nervous! I dedicated the wreath to all the crews from 467 and 463 squadrons who paid the ultimate sacrifice. Lest we forget:

• Outstanding! :goodjob: