Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24D arrives

Propwash

Well, after a two-month wait it finally arrived.  Appears to be pretty much the same kit as the J, with the exception of not having that abomination of a front turret.  Was hoping  HB might correct those wings that were apparently designed by someone with no knowledge of aerodynamics, but no such luck.  Nevertheless, it's still a pretty good kit and will no doubt build up into a spectacular model.  Has anyone else received theirs yet, and if so, what do you think of it?

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I don’t even know of anyone currently selling the kit.  I didn’t look at Squadron, but after their debacle with the J model, I would never buy one from them anyway.

There's a guy on Ebay selling them with a location in Florida.  He has 10 available.

Wants $160 plus $13.10 shipping.

Tons of other listings on Ebay from China, too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HobbyBosss-1-32-B-24D-Liberator/323911195360?epid=13034078619&hash=item4b6a9c9ae0:g:g0YAAOSwoWFdd8vA

I am aware of all the known issues, and I don’t think anything has significantly changed with this version. However, I was very pleasantly surprised to find the nose glass to be clear and without a seam. I think most of the early -Ds did not have the belly turret, so I will probably plug up the hole. Also, I plan to build a rig similar to HK to hang it on the wall next to my B-17. The bomb bay appears to be workable for that purpose. Ultimately, it looks mostly like a B-24 and I know I’ll building it!

17 hours ago, Propwash said:

Well, after a two-month wait it finally arrived.  Appears to be pretty much the same kit as the J, with the exception of not having that abomination of a front turret.  Was hoping  HB might correct those wings that were apparently designed by someone with no knowledge of aerodynamics, but no such luck.  Nevertheless, it's still a pretty good kit and will no doubt build up into a spectacular model.  Has anyone else received theirs yet, and if so, what do you think of it?

you were hoping they were going to retool all the wings and and associated components on a simple re release??????

There was zero chance they were going to spend the money to retool the molds to fix anything, much less large parts like the wings.  Everything behind the nose is going to be identical to the J kit.

Thanks for the heads up on eBay.  I hadn’t checked in a while.  I now see that Squadron is actually listing the D for $50 off, but surprise, surprise, it’s not in stock.

Edited by Dave Williams

I know the Ploesti raid will be the most popular subject, but I really hope someone in aftermarketsville goes for the RAF submarine hunter conversion...

given how Roy Sutherland is such a big Fleet Air Arm fan, this seems an almost natural subject for him to tackle: resin 'mini-wings' that held the rockets, radome etc, AND he makes the decals that go with it.

and yet...

I just can't see him doing it: all his AM is wheels and cockpit upgrades - there's never anything big (exception of the Tempest nose)

and as to Ploesti, if you recall I contacted Dave Klaus about upscaling his 1/48 sheets but he had no interest, saying the sheet would be too large

this was despite me saying don't bother with national markings since most people would use masks anyway, and that it's the noseart everyone wants...

But hey ho, I'll still get one of these kits - they are just too much plastic for too little money not to!

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:22 AM, Markjames1968 said:

you were hoping they were going to retool all the wings and and associated components on a simple re release??????

Actually, I knew the chances of this happening were about the same as the most of the fantasy kits we all dream about -- but hope springs eternal.  However, I can't help thinking, with just a little more effort by HB, what a great kit this could have been, instead of just a barely acceptable kit.