Bandai PG 1/72 Millennium falcon............again

gunpowder

26 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

I agree with everything here.  And what's more, they demonstrate that there is nothing wrong with "snap fit" construction.

It would be so freaking convenient to have that technology worked into the design of other kits, here and there.

If you want to have your modeling mind blown, build a Perfect Grade Gundam kit from Bandai.  The engineering of all the joint mechanisms is incredible.  Bandai has to have some of the smartest people in the modeling world working for them.
They are outstanding.

Yep, 100%

39 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

How hard would you think it is to “fix” the battle damage that they (unfortunately) molded into the parts?  Mostly sheet plastic work?

That's my plan, is to fix the battle damage with styrene sheet, some epoxy/CA and possibly some Milliput if needed. 

Having the kit and thinking the same re: the BD, I dont see it being a super hard fix.

Although I would not have guessed it having built a large number of their 1/48 Pin Point series vehicles and diorama sets but I have no doubt, having built a couple of the smaller 1/72 ships only so far, that I am confident I can assemble the Falcon like a pro. The engineering is so good; I doff my hat to Bandai for such a leap in molding tech since the 1970's.  It's the painting that I find daunting as I want to do a respectable job and I kind of find it hard to get some of my usual paints to adhere to such a hard plastic. I find they are more prone to chip like they just can't grab hold. I've been using different acrylics because of my paint setup but I do have enamels. I can only paint on weekend days with the garage door open while using volatiles and that slows me down.

I have been given permission to display it in the living room as long as it doesn't look like one of the old Play Mates ships with the lights and sounds.

I also have a green light for a TOS Starship Enterprise, and unbeknownst to her a Klingon battlecruiser as well.

On 9/26/2019 at 11:38 AM, CATCplSlade said:

Although I would not have guessed it having built a large number of their 1/48 Pin Point series vehicles and diorama sets but I have no doubt, having built a couple of the smaller 1/72 ships only so far, that I am confident I can assemble the Falcon like a pro. The engineering is so good; I doff my hat to Bandai for such a leap in molding tech since the 1970's.  It's the painting that I find daunting as I want to do a respectable job and I kind of find it hard to get some of my usual paints to adhere to such a hard plastic. I find they are more prone to chip like they just can't grab hold. I've been using different acrylics because of my paint setup but I do have enamels. I can only paint on weekend days with the garage door open while using volatiles and that slows me down.

I have been given permission to display it in the living room as long as it doesn't look like one of the old Play Mates ships with the lights and sounds.

I also have a green light for a TOS Starship Enterprise, and unbeknownst to her a Klingon battlecruiser as well.

that's a good missus!

You should try your luck with a Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck :P

On 9/28/2019 at 4:52 AM, CATCplSlade said:

As much as I would love a big warship, the amount of PE on those things makes my bowels watery.

You can always follow my technique, which is to make the ship, and then add on the most important big pieces of P/E that really make a difference and add a lot.  Aircraft catapults for example.

And then skip over much of the tiny stuff!  

It is interesting (and sad seeing as I hate the stuff) that model ship building these days has been reduced to a giant P/E exercise.

It didn't used to be that way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2019 at 11:02 PM, gunpowder said:

This is the gorgeous Bandai Millennium falcon. Built from the box except for me mounting it on a cctv mount instead of the  kit display stand. I love this model. The engineering on its is amazing , so much detail.

knMjUue.jpg?1

4roZcLP.jpg

vXTdybu.jpg

z72VqHq.jpg

dyyMNBC.jpg

HVzHGp5.jpg

3rkPgQP.jpg

Hgko7Ss.jpg

Sensational. I too have this in my stash. I have nowhere to display it AMT. Your model is inspiring me to get a dust free display for it.

I too would like to see your build if there is one.