Bandai PG 1/72 Millennium falcon............again

gunpowder

Nice! I have the Bandai PG grade 72nd kit in my stash, with all the lighting to do, and this is really making me want to bust it out.  Great work!  The kit is a jewel in the box (and a BIG box it is!) and its one of my bucket list much have models, so I will definitely be working it at some point.

Where did you get the stand btw?

Congrats on a well done model!!  

This is by far the best looking Falcon I have seen. A friend of mine shared this with me this morning and I joined to forum just to talk to you about it. I just started building mine last weekend. Would you mind sharing what colors you used? You nailed the base color and those warm white accent panels look amazing as well. Did you document the build elsewhere? Once again amazing work!

6 hours ago, CaseyG83 said:

This is by far the best looking Falcon I have seen. A friend of mine shared this with me this morning and I joined to forum just to talk to you about it. I just started building mine last weekend. Would you mind sharing what colors you used? You nailed the base color and those warm white accent panels look amazing as well. Did you document the build elsewhere? Once again amazing work!

Thanks Guys. The colour is a mix of tamiya colours. Mostly white , a bit of deck tan and a tiny amount of buff. The light panels are light gull grey. The dark grey panels are tamiya dark sea grey oversprayed with sky grey. the red panels are tamiya red brown with a bit of red added. There was no prticular mix ratios i followed , i just mixed them until they looked right.  Its a great model. I have built alot of falcons but this one has the most envolved paintjob i have done. The streaks were airbrushed with nato black and then enhanced with black oil paint.

This looks great!  This kit is on my "to buy" list but I don't have one yet.

I am a giant fan of Bandai kits and their engineering.

I wish more model companies would try to adopt some of their innovations in aircraft, military, and ship kits.

You finish a Bandai gundam or Star Wars kit and wonder why certain aspects of other kits are not designed to be "snap fit" as it can really get you out of trouble in some areas, where glue is messy or otherwise not desirable.  

Your mixed paint colors look spot on.  The chipping effects are very convincing! 

Edited by ringleheim

3 hours ago, Brett M said:

Very nice paint work and weathering! She looks great! This is on my to-do list as well. Don't tell my wife.....

Fortunately, my wife was not only cool with me buying a big (but tasteful and cooool) 5 part Mellinium Falcon mural for our living room wall, but was cool with me buying the PG 72nd Falcon too.

• 2 weeks later...

That falcon looks spot on - you nailed the paint job imho.  Is this kit really that much better than the older fine moulds kit?  I know it's the 3 landing gear version from ANH, not the 5t landing gear fine moulds version.  I want it, (Star Wars nut), but can't afford it and to be brutally honest with myself, my eyes are no longer good and capable of building model kits, even with glasses imho.  

1 hour ago, dpastern said:

That falcon looks spot on - you nailed the paint job imho.  Is this kit really that much better than the older fine moulds kit?

It's an amazing kit honestly. I've built quite a few new gen Bandai SW kits and I can legitimately say, the new Bandai kits are some of the nicest, most well thought out, amazingly molded and best fitting kits I have ever put together. 

The fit and quality have me SERIOUSLY wondering why our aircraft kit manufacturers cant get even remotely close.

6 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

It's an amazing kit honestly. I've built quite a few new gen Bandai SW kits and I can legitimately say, the new Bandai kits are some of the nicest, most well thought out, amazingly molded and best fitting kits I have ever put together. 

The fit and quality have me SERIOUSLY wondering why our aircraft kit manufacturers cant get even remotely close.

I agree with everything here.  And what's more, they demonstrate that there is nothing wrong with "snap fit" construction.

It would be so freaking convenient to have that technology worked into the design of other kits, here and there.

If you want to have your modeling mind blown, build a Perfect Grade Gundam kit from Bandai.  The engineering of all the joint mechanisms is incredible.  Bandai has to have some of the smartest people in the modeling world working for them.

They are outstanding.