Radar antenna arrangement on He-219

I’ve got the Zoukei Mura He-219 kit which I plan on doing next and was wondering about the antenna arrangement they have. On the kit, which is an A-0 variant, they have the larger antenna with the smaller ones inside them. Did the planes have this arrangement? Also when was the rear radar added?

Thanks for any help!

The four large “stags antlers” are the SN-2 array.  The small inner array is 1/4 of the earlier Lichtenstein C-1 array.  The early SN-2 versions had a long minimum range, so they added a C-1 array to reduce the minimum range.  Later SN-2 versions fixed the minimum range issue, so the C-1 array was deleted.  Short answer is that was a valid configuration for an early SN-2 setup.

The tail warning array was only sometimes fitted and was usually associated with late SN-2 setups with angled arrays.

Edited by Dave Williams

28 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

The four large “stags antlers” are the SN-2 array.  The small inner array is 1/4 of the earlier Lichtenstein C-1 array.  The early SN-2 versions had a long minimum range, so they added a C-1 array to reduce the minimum range.  Later SN-2 versions fixed the minimum range issue, so the C-1 array was deleted.  Short answer is that was a valid configuration for an early SN-2 setup.

The tail warning array was only sometimes fitted and was usually associated with late SN-2 setups with angled arrays.

Thank you! That is very helpful. I wanted to do mine in the NASM 219 colours as I like the black on the bottom. I preferred the angled array, so that works. I’m guessing the tail warning array used the same antenna style as the SN-2 array?

Rick Kranias is a member on here and he works at the museum in the US where they have the only He219 still in one piece (they are actually putting it together as we speak), so he may chime in

there will be plenty of examples with black undersides btw

interestingly, on restoration it was found that the paintwork is *not* a dark mottle of RLM 74 (or RLM75?) over a light base of RLM76, but rather a pattern of light lines / squiggles etc over a dark base - ie a reverse mottle

here is the NASM bird where you can see what I mean hopefully

9947h.jpg?itok=L3NbWrNz

here is (currently) the best book on the 219 in my view:

https://www.wingleader.co.uk/shop/the-heinkel-he-219-a-research-paper

although for a lighter read there is the airframe album no.1 by Richard Franks

https://www.valiant-wings.co.uk/airframe-album-no1-25-p.asp

if you have the Z-M kit my suggestion would be 'do it properly' and get both the books; the latter may help with the modelling a bit, and may help with understanding the different radar arrays, plus it has some profiles etc, but the Research Paper book has all the *correct* info about types, WNr and so on.

re the radars themselves, can you solder?

if not, and you still want to use aftermarket metal radar dipoles etc, then I think there is only one radar made by Master which satisfies that criteria - this is from memory though, so best check!

hope this helps a bit

1 hour ago, nmayhew said:

Rick Kranias is a member on here and he works at the museum in the US where they have the only He219 still in one piece (they are actually putting it together as we speak), so he may chime in

there will be plenty of examples with black undersides btw

interestingly, on restoration it was found that the paintwork is *not* a dark mottle of RLM 74 (or RLM75?) over a light base of RLM76, but rather a pattern of light lines / squiggles etc over a dark base - ie a reverse mottle

here is the NASM bird where you can see what I mean hopefully

9947h.jpg?itok=L3NbWrNz

here is (currently) the best book on the 219 in my view:

https://www.wingleader.co.uk/shop/the-heinkel-he-219-a-research-paper

although for a lighter read there is the airframe album no.1 by Richard Franks

https://www.valiant-wings.co.uk/airframe-album-no1-25-p.asp

if you have the Z-M kit my suggestion would be 'do it properly' and get both the books; the latter may help with the modelling a bit, and may help with understanding the different radar arrays, plus it has some profiles etc, but the Research Paper book has all the *correct* info about types, WNr and so on.

re the radars themselves, can you solder?

if not, and you still want to use aftermarket metal radar dipoles etc, then I think there is only one radar made by Master which satisfies that criteria - this is from memory though, so best check!

hope this helps a bit

That is quite interesting to know about the squiggles! I have both of those books on my wish list ready for payday, haha. I have the ZM aftermarket antenna set, though I can solder, if not spectacularly. I want to do this kit well as it is a plane I am quite interested in. 

I hope one day to go visit NASM. I’m hoping to start a PhD next year on the relationship between air crews and their machines during WWII, part of it being on field modifications and how conservation techniques can reveal them.

Thank you for the help! :) 

36 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

Owl produce a number of decal sheets, the instructions included the appropriate aerial set up. 

Thank you! Very helpful. As with all my builds I will be doing fictional markings, but it is handy to see the range they came in.

“I’ll be doing fictional markings...”

Nooooooo!

All the research and work for made up markings seems such a shame.

:o

I’m only kidding (sort of!) but I hope you get the info you need for your project.

All the best

Nick

Sophie-

It was rumored that NJG3 (?) towards the end of hostilities had assembled four or five airframes from spares to keep the fight going. These few airplanes were unique in that they had no factory assigned Werk numbers, but they purportedly saw combat in the closing months of the war. Bit of Frankenstein’s monsters in a way. They were also field painted, and being that there is no known photos of them, it would be plausible to build one of these “ghost” aircraft. This was mentioned in more than one reference source.....I am away from my books at the mo......I have to have a gander when I get home, see what else I can dig up.

THOR    :ph34r:

1 hour ago, bdthoresen said:

Sophie-

It was rumored that NJG3 (?) towards the end of hostilities had assembled four or five airframes from spares to keep the fight going. These few airplanes were unique in that they had no factory assigned Werk numbers, but they purportedly saw combat in the closing months of the war. Bit of Frankenstein’s monsters in a way. They were also field painted, and being that there is no known photos of them, it would be plausible to build one of these “ghost” aircraft. This was mentioned in more than one reference source.....I am away from my books at the mo......I have to have a gander when I get home, see what else I can dig up.

THOR    :ph34r:

That is very interesting! If you can find out anymore information that would be fantastic, thank you! When it comes to the war, there were so many undocumented and changed machines that anything is theoretically possible.

Those ‘ghost’ planes would be interesting for my academic research too.

43 minutes ago, Kahunaminor said:

Sophie,

ZM also do a book of concept notes which is quite good.

Regards,

I have seen the Ho 229 one, I’ll have to invest in the He 219 book as well, thank you :) 

Here is link for NASM article on He219 wing painting.  The "meandering" or "Swiggles" paint scheme has been closely replicated.  The RLM76 was applied over the RLM75.

The He219 was mfg by several contractors then assembled at one site.

The NASM He219 will have the FuG220 array.  Currently The He219 is being assembled on the floor and sits between the Fw190 and the Ar234.

9Sep2019.He219.jpg

NASM He219 as of 9 Sep 2019.   Main wheels recently added.  Much work to do. 

Take a look at the wing root and you can see the original Meandering/Swiggle application of RLM76 which was carefully replicated.  Read the article I provided in this post.

Clearly this bird is destined to be the "Rock Star" at Udvar Hazy.

Thanks for the info Rick! It is lovely to see the wings and undercarriage on. I hope I can come see it for rest one day.

That article is very interesting, it is good to see how the paint was done in the factory. She’ll look beautiful when she’s complete, definitely the star of the show. It is interesting to get a sense of scale against the 190.