!/48 Scale ICM Dormier Do-217N1 w/AIMS conversion

Gazzas

10 hours ago, chukw said:

A lovely conclusion, Gazzas- cheers! Tell me, what are the Gaspatch antennae made from?

Thank you, Chuck!  They come on a sprue that makes me think they are computer printed.  And on that note, I admit I have no experience with computer printing or the materials used.

I will say that there is some small flex and give to them though you cannot warp them unheated.  And despite dropping with only their own weight, none of the dipoles broke.  The parts I broke occurred when the mass of the plane met the mass of my hand as I tried to save the plane from plummeting to the floor.  They are definitely more resilient than styrene of equal diameter.

This is how they arrive, minus the two-tone color:

Fug_Series05__33080.1573127455.jpg?c=2

I would second the notion this is my favorite non-1:32 build of 2019.  Now Gaz, we need to see those lovely GasPatch bits added!   Plz?   

The camo scheme is just spectacular.  You certainly nailed the scheme to perfection.  You had a great picture as a reference and just did it!   Wow. 

11 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

I would second the notion this is my favorite non-1:32 build of 2019.  Now Gaz, we need to see those lovely GasPatch bits added!   Plz?   

The camo scheme is just spectacular.  You certainly nailed the scheme to perfection.  You had a great picture as a reference and just did it!   Wow. 

Troy,

Thanks you!  The Gaspatch aerials are already on the model.  If you look at the photo below, they look a little different than the Gaspatch aerials.

Do_217N-2_FuG_202.jpg

So I modified them accordingly.  Perhaps the aerials changed over time to reduce drag, I can only speculate. 

I've since been informed that they were painted all-black, so I made errors by painting them to represent RLM 70 and bare metal.

4 hours ago, chukw said:

Thanks for the info, Gazzas! And to think, I've soldered two sets before these came out. :mental:

No worries.  Honestly I think they would be more to scale if made with fine wire.  But the details are nice enough to warrant buying one set as a model if you’Re proficient with soldering.