!/48 Scale ICM Dormier Do-217N1 w/AIMS conversion

Gazzas

Hi again Everyone,

After half a day spent cleaning up the factory scheme, I was able to begin the unit-applied cloud scheme.  You've all probably seen some of the crazy variations of the unit-applied cloud schemes, but there aren't a lot of 217 photos available in the cloud scheme. 

What I've done here represents two hours of painting, and a half hour of polishing to remove overspray.

Regarding technique it was a lot of tweaking with air pressure, paint thickness, and paint flow.  I also had to contend with dry tip occurring about every 1/2 square inch.  Also, I tried to think of myself a a ground crew guy with a paint gun.  Full-of-paint, the paint gun isn't light on the end of your arm.  So, I tried to limit my movement to passes of less than 3-scale-feet.  Which is I reckon about 9-10mm-ish.

Without more blather, here are the photos.  I apologize for any glare.

irz9uD.jpg

6x9zhw.jpg

hcwKHd.jpg

giWyT6.jpg

This port rudder hasn't been polished yet.  It cleans up a little bit once polished.  Thankfully the spiderwebs aren't too visible out of macro photos.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

4 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Thanks Dale!

I can see the work. I read the above and am interested to learn how you worked so consistently while taking breaks. It is likely unrealistic to learn what exactly happened during the squiggles, your breaks, re-focussing again......

Great work. My eyes will return. :goodjob:

Hi everyone.

It took a bit of time, but I eventually completed the cloud pattern.  Then I took care of the Call letters and crosses requiring black paint.  Next step will be stencils and decals.  Some of the decals will get some cloud pattern added to them.  I thought about placing the stencil decals first, but I was afraid they wouldn't survive the polishing process.  Not only was the effect of rubbing a potential problem, there are also the petroleum distillates used in the rubbing compound.

gqhlZM.jpg

I was quite pleased with the crispness of the fuselage markings.

HiyvSI.jpg

There are some raised details around the inner letters that caused problems.  Some slight touch up may be required.  I haven't decided how much I feel like doing as it will be mounted to a base as well as weathered underneath.

ah1RCj.jpg

I've effected the wear pattern to the center fuselage shown on the historical photo on the previous page.  After a lot of thought, I've come to the  conclusion that the pattern on the enter fuselage was caused by the ground crew.  When I was in an RF4 squadron for a short time, every time work was done on the plane, pre-flight inspection, whatever, there was a reason to walk the spine of the plane.  The Germans didn't have rubber-soled boots.

5Rtl1W.jpg

The cloud pattern was a long and tedious task.  I basically had to double spray each squiggle as the paint wasn't opaque enough after one coat.   I often found myself bored with one type of pattern and would switch to another and back and forth.  I also tried to think how you'd paint the wings so you wouldn't fall off walking backwards.

gqhlZM.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gaz