!/48 Scale ICM Dormier Do-217N1 w/AIMS conversion

Gazzas

3 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Shaping up really nicely Gaz, looking foward to seeing some colour now.

Regards. Andy

Thank you, Andy.   I’m looking forward to some colour, too.  I’ve got RLM 76 by both Humbrol and MRP.  And they’re both a bit dark to my eyes.  I can see the need to whiten them substantially.

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Very cool.......I always thought an LSP flying pencil/217 would be a decent seller.

Thank you, Brian.  I fear that for the mass of those who don’t delve deep into historical studies, the Dornier disappears after the BoB.   It just doesn’t have the same impact on the historical record to make it popular.  Maybe if there had been some in the Movie...

3 hours ago, chukw said:

Maddeningly I cannot see your latest postings- how odd! Win10, Firefox.

Lemme know if you can see these.  The other post's images were uploaded to Facebook as it's quicker and easier than loading up to imageshack.

6rFdNV.jpg

H2wwGs.jpg

OMMp4F.jpg

ihm8px.jpg

qymDe6.jpg

I'm using Windows 10 and Firefox also.

Gaz

39 minutes ago, chukw said:

Thanks- looking good! That's a great compromise to using the Eduard radar arrays- such fragile little things.

Thanks.  Glad you can see it.

As for great looking, I might offer some more insight on the plastic parts.  The biggest sin (if you will) is that the cross section of the "X" shaped parts is tubular, not aerofoil.  But because the plastic is the usual soft ICM stuff, they are too fragile for me to try to reshape.  I tried, and they immediately began to bend away like they were going to separate from the main tube.  That being said, I don't know how easy it would be to make the cruciform parts and then try to fit them into a 2mm (or smaller) tube or rod. 

Honestly, though.  If we could get Pastor John to just sell the "H" shaped aerials as a separate part, it'd be great for other users of FuG 202/212.

Hi everyone,

Not to let a day off work go without some modelling, I cleaned up blemishes, added a little surface detail, and cut the masks for the markings.  Here are the pics...  and after that...  the scheme!

lkFOfZ.jpg

The underwing crosses are the full ones and I could have just used the decals...  but where's the fun in that!

MQTJUG.jpg

The hollow crosses are the most likely decals to show silvering.  So, they are my top priority.  I'll also be using masks for the call letters which will adorn the fuselage and lower wings.  as they are in black, I'll do them after the main scheme has been painted.

uTFXRz.jpg

The hollow fuselage cross colors are an educated guess.  They aren't black but they are too dark to be 74 or 75.  So, I elected to make them 66

Now...  on to the scheme:

I found this gem of a photo about three weeks ago.   Of course, for discussion only.

4hb3Z1.png

If you spend a few minutes with the photo you'll be able to delineate the RLM 74/75 camo scheme under the squiggles.  At IPMS Deutschland, these squiggles are called - Arabesken.... a much more elegant term.  There is some nice weathering up there, too.  Fuel spills, and paintwear.  Interestingly, the canopy still appears to be in a darker shade and definitely not RLM 76.  I'm going to leave it as RLM 66.  I have a theory that canopies were delivered to the main aircraft assembly plants in RLM 66 and, most often, weren't repainted. 

Here is a profile I got from IPMS Deutschland...  again for discussion only.

cHUxX5.jpg

Thanks for looking!

First paint on. 

The colors are by MRP.  RLM 74/75/76.   I have lightened them all by 30% with MRP Insignia white.  I still find the RLM 74 too dark and too green for my liking.  I used tape loops and loose leaf paper to get a soft edged camo.  

Unfortunately a wing seam popped though my clumsiness, and I had to flood the seam with Tamiya Ultra thin in hopes that it will fuse up.  This stopped my planned touch-up program. 

Without further ado:

Ag4gX9.jpg

JyS6id.jpg

yL3Rpz.jpg

k1QXVp.jpg

Thanks for looking!