!/48 Scale ICM Dormier Do-217N1 w/AIMS conversion

Gazzas

Hi Everyone,

Once in a while, a kit you've wanted forever comes along.  For me, it was the Dornier Do-217N.  That's the nightfighter variant of the bomber.  The N version originally had defensive guns in a dorsal turret and ventral tub which was faired neatly into the fuselage.  The AIMS Conversion set provides the fairings that cover over those defensive positions like the plywood fairings used historically.  The Conversion also supplies some very nice Photo Etch which I will endeavor not to stuff up. 

The first photo etch I dealt with were the seat belts.    I annealed them hoping to get natural shape and droop.

L7CNKk.jpg

A good modeller might have thinned the seats before adding the PE belts.  I used formula 560 Canopy Glue to hold the belts before zapping them with CA.

xdAoFG.jpg

Unfortunately there are very few Dornier resources, and I couldn't find the attachment points for the belts.  So, I took my positioning from JU-88 pictures.

Did I say I'm very inexperienced with PE? 

H26D1O.jpg

It looks rough, and I'm sure someone else would do better.  I used white glue to thicken the heads of the control knobs.  The rudder pedals were part of the conversion, too.

I took a guess on the control knob colors.  White, brown, and black.

cc3SR1.jpg

nLU6U4.jpg

r5d3kX.jpg

I used various shades of RLM 66 for the interior.  My reasoning is that the components would have been delivered from different factories and then assembled into a complete cockpit at the Dornier factory.

Finally the exterior fairings.

Qsw4VV.jpg

The resin parts fit pretty good, and there are no bubbles to be found on my set.

The kit is pretty nice.  Great details but soft plastic.  The usual ICM weakness.  There are some sink marks, but nothing heart breaking.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

Thanks John.

With the release of this kit, ICM has opened the door to the entire E to J Do-217 series.  There is enough of a Bomb bay and realistic doors.  Also the engine nacelles are completely separate from the wings, allowing for either engine configuration by simply changing  Sprues.   Doing the K-M will require new main sprues, so I’m hoping that Pastor John will make a conversion for them in the future.

Gaz

Cool project Gaz, really love the 217N's, nice progress and if only someone came up with one in 32nd scale......if only. I know there is a vac form option out there but life is to short for going down that route.

Regards. Andy 

Edited by monthebiff

12 hours ago, nmayhew said:

looking good

God I wish ICM would enter the 1/32 market!

Thank you!

My main wish is that they would change the formula of their plastic.  It quickly gums up sandpaper and makes thin parts extra fragile.  Another problem is texture.  At least the clear parts look good.

6 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Cool project Gaz, really love the 217N's, nice progress and if only someone came up with one in 32nd scale......if only. I know there is a vac form option out there but life is to short for going down that route.

Regards. Andy 

Thank you,  Andy!  I fear that this is another that will never be seen in large scale injection moulded.  It never would have the fame that came with any big actions.  I should never say never, though.  I never imagined a Ki-45 being made.

Gaz 

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

They already have, Gladiator next. 

indeedy, I had forgot about that!

I'll be getting one of those for sure.

what I meant was their willingness to plunge into the German twin market...

:)

Aside from the bad plastic, are your overall impressions of this kit positive, Gaz?

I will be following this build closely as I love the German bombers and have plans to build all of the ICM 1/48 kits...He-111, Ju-88, and the flying pencil.

I've heard they are basically solid kits.

Your cockpit is shaping up nicely.

22 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Aside from the bad plastic, are your overall impressions of this kit positive, Gaz?

I will be following this build closely as I love the German bombers and have plans to build all of the ICM 1/48 kits...He-111, Ju-88, and the flying pencil.

I've heard they are basically solid kits.

Your cockpit is shaping up nicely.

Thank you!

It’s a fine kit.  I certainly plan on another which I’ll build as a straight n1 someday.  Hopefully the J with BMW radials appears in a year or two.

The radar aerials are thick and unrealistic.  So, count on buying AM or making your own.   Hopefully I’ll do justice to the set that come in the AIMS conversion.

On 9/14/2019 at 7:56 AM, monthebiff said:

Got to say Gaz, I'm tempted to build one of these but hang back hoping for someone to release a 32nd 217,  now that would be awesome especially if aims released an N conversion followed by an M, now that would be cool.

Regards.Andy 

Well...  I'm fifty three now and have been waiting on this one for a long time.    I don't think I'm going to hang back for anything.