Reno Mustang

SB20

I've enjoyed stepping away from military birds and have gotten into building racers.  After I completed the Bardahl Special build, I went back to Draw Decals to shop around.   As soon as I came across Risky Business I knew I had my next build.   Super shiny, plus enough modifications to set it apart but not a complete rebuild.   Heres the scheme I'll be building:

20190903_211202-L.jpg

The fuselage will be foil, and the white wings will be a new car type paint a friend pointed out.  I'll modify the cockpit to remove the military equipment, create the pointed spinner, and find a way to add the flaired racing wingtips.   My hope is to have it ready for San Marcos.   Now I'm just waiting for my Tamiya Mustang to arrive from Tamiya USA. 

Man, cool build!  Will follow along for sure!

As to the up flared wing tips.................hope you dont mind me putting in some demo pics:

I did a set of the opposite (down turned) wingtips on my CHC II Beaver.

Although you would need to reverse it obviously the process would work identical.  It was super easy actually. I just took some thick brass sheet and rolled it around something round (in this case a Mag light flash light), then cut a slot in the wing tips, and inserted the rectangular section till it looked right. Then I just took some Milliput and filled in the whole thing, then sanded it to shape. And because the core is stolid brass and very stiff, you can get the trailing edges nice and scale thin too:

DSC00537.jpg

DSC00545.jpg

DSC00549.jpg

The finished product/brass technique painted up, turned out quite well I think:

DSC01005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, progress is being made.  RB carried a red colored engine so I've started getting that painted.  I'm now working on painting the extra equipment that attaches to the core in their various colors.

20190918_160329.thumb.jpg.a6387e078352cf

20190918_160246.thumb.jpg.5334fded702698

I've also gone ahead and cropped the wings in preparation for adding the racing wingtips.   I haven't decided yet on the flat or flaired tips as RB carried both.  No going back now!

20190919_082749-L.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...