Matchbox 1/32 Westland Lysander: Engine weathering starts..

Cap'n Wannabe

You already have some great reference pics of the engine, but I'll toss up some pics the I have taken in case something helps out.

Westland Lysander IIIA; Udvar-Hazy 2015

Lysander-Udvar-Hazy-2015-10-22-2302.jpg

Westland Lysander III; RAF Museum London 2008

Lysander-RAF-London-2008-02-18-6453.jpg

-
Lysander-RAF-London-2008-02-18-6456.jpg

Westland Lysander IIIA; Imperial War Museum Duxford 2008

Lysander-IWM-Duxford-2008-02-19-6908.jpg

Hope these are of some assistance...

(had to re-load after my original website changed domains to www.447bg.org))

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron

Well, I hope this "reference pictures" wave won't stop you from working on the model...  :rolleyes:

Here are my pictures made in Cosford, 2 years ago:

37770372974_8168e6fc5c_b.jpg

37770373974_3e785e907b_c.jpg

37770374664_70429a57a6_c.jpg

There are more pictures in the album: flickr - RAF Museum Cosford

I'm looking forward to some pictures from your bench.
Cheers.

Juraj

Edited by Trak-Tor

So after a fair bit of start/stop, I bit the bullet and weathered the engine.  I have seen photos of the cylinders painted black, and also the cylinders left in a natural finish, but when I first painted mine, the aluminium looked too stark.  I wanted to go for the used look, with a bit of burnt oil residue on the cylinders (I'm assuming that's what the brownish colour is), so I broke out the artist's oils and gave it a crack.  Not too shabby, I reckon, although there's still the back of the engine to do....and it reduces the starkness of the bare aluminium cylinders.

fnJWmTzl.jpg

Edited by Cap'n Wannabe

Glad you pulled it this one out of the memory vault. Great!  After all the new kits brought out over the years the Airfix/Revell 32nd Lysander is still the only show in town. Hopefully one day a manu we’ll get an upgrade...till then good start:clap2:

Edited by Pup7309

Bit of a quiet day today, so I started playing with my Inventor software and my new resin 3D printer.  I've had the idea in the back of my mind for a while to add some details to the Lysander, even though I'd originally decided to built it strictly OOB.  Anyhow, looking at photos of the engine bay, the exhaust collector that runs around the front of the engine is very prominent.  I cut the cowling part from the sprue, got out the trusty Verniers, measured it up, then modelled it in Inventor.  Then I modelled a part to fit inside it and pick up the tops of the engine cylinders.  Bearing in mind I'm not sure of the final depth of the thing right now, here's the first test print.  The front of the ring didn't quite print properly - not worried about that right now - but the collector pipes did...

jrCx0XDl.jpg

And here it is in place..

a0OhJkWl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great stuff! Really like the 3D printed engine detail.

As you mention possible more printing, do you have plans for anything in the cockpit? 

Having today completed the Dora Wings 72nd scale Lysander I have just gotten interested in the good old Matchbox/Revell kit in my preferred scale of 1/32.

But this kit really is a bit hard to find these days... :unsure:

Edited by Anders_Isaksson

21 hours ago, Anders_Isaksson said:

Great stuff! Really like the 3D printed engine detail.

As you mention possible more printing, do you have plans for anything in the cockpit? 

Having today completed the Dora Wings 72nd scale Lysander I have just gotten interested in the good old Matchbox/Revell kit in my preferred scale of 1/32.

But this kit really is a bit hard to find these days... :unsure:

I will be printing some things for the cockpit, although apart from the seats, I'm not sure what yet as I haven't really had a look at many photos.  If it all works out, then it will be very easy to put all the extra bits and bobs into an update set for those that are interested....and not just in 1/32.

I had a look on ebay, and the Revell version is there......for stupid money, though!

5 minutes ago, Cap'n Wannabe said:

I will be printing some things for the cockpit, although apart from the seats, I'm not sure what yet as I haven't really had a look at many photos.  If it all works out, then it will be very easy to put all the extra bits and bobs into an update set for those that are interested....and not just in 1/32.

I had a look on ebay, and the Revell version is there......for stupid money, though!

Ah yes, the seats would be prime contenders for replacements. I will follow your progress with great interest. :)

I will look and ask around for the Matchbox/Revell Lysander some more, but otherwise I guess eBay is the only way to go...

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...