Matchbox 1/32 Westland Lysander: Engine weathering starts..

Cap'n Wannabe

Hi folks!

After a long hiatus, and a few stalled projects, I'm desperately trying to get my mojo back.  Coupled with moving house, and getting a new job, it hasn't been easy....and it still won't be.  But I'll try.

I love the Lysander.  I don't know why, I don't even know that much about the aircraft, I just love it.  So what better kit to try?

This is an original Matchbox example, one of two in my stash.  It will be built strictly OOB, with perhaps some seatbelts added, but that's it.  The other one will be modified into a post-war crop-duster, but that's a whole 'nother story.

The interesting thing (to me) about this particular kit is the yellow sticker on the boxtop.  As it happens, this one was the district first prize in the Matchbox Model Master competition (not mine - I picked up second place in my district, and was awarded a 1/72 Hawker Hunter and Dornier Skyservant, first prize was the 1/32 Tiger Moth).  If memory serves, the competition was run in the early to mid 80's, way back when I was just starting high school.  Anyhow, a bit of trivia for y'all..

Being a bit of a lazy sort, I've only taken the one photo.  Nothing started yet - took me most of the afternoon to decide which kit to build!

SvjQVHJl.jpg

Edited by Cap'n Wannabe

Good choice to bring back the mojo, especially if it's an aircraft you like. Take your time and don't overthink it. Enjoy it. 

I've also always been fascinated by the Lysander, such a unique concept and shape in the air. We're also lucky enough to have a couple here in Ontario, both of them were together at the Hamilton Airshow in 2015. Some inspiration:

AQgZf7Xl.jpg

onhip01l.jpg

Otg86yGl.jpg

And that evening:

un6qrZcl.jpg

Looking forward to watching your progress on this kit. Kinda want one now...:)

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Thanks for those photos, Richard.  I especially like the yellow and black one, although I'll be making mine using the decals provided in the kit, assuming they don't shatter.

As yet, I haven't done anything other than remove the plastic from the box and give it a bit of a fondling, however, I will be starting over the weekend.  My work schedule doesn't allow much time during the week, unfortunately - sometimes I don't knock off until 3am!

hi

great choice , we rarely see that bird at this scale ... if I remember , it was one of the first " war plane" I 've seen , she  was coded " SO.T ,( then MA.D)  and at that time belonged to the SABENA ( the Belgian fliying compagnie ) ( in French sot means ..silly ...mad .... :D) ..the challenge with the kit ,is to represent the leading edge slats which are " down" when the plane is on the ground ... happy modelling ;)

Alain