Matchbox 1/32 Westland Lysander: Engine weathering starts..

Cap'n Wannabe

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress....not much, but I have been extremely busy of late!

The engine primed..

EpueETBl.jpg

..and painting started.  It took me a while to figure out the best way to paint the engine - most photos I've seen have the crankcase black, as well as the rods that go up the front of the cylinders, whereas the cylinders themselves are aluminium.  I've only done the back of the cylinders so far, and I think once I apply a wash, it'll look pretty good.  (Actually, I reckon it don't look half bad in the photo..)

gXT4F6Ml.jpg

On 9/15/2019 at 12:50 AM, TwoHands said:

I have been looking for photos of the upper wing surfaces.

I took these photos from the observation deck at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. Hope they help, you should be able to click on theimage and enlarge them if you need a closer look:

FJSMwduh.jpg

qS1bmxLh.jpg

YhcsEPmh.jpg

Some canopy detail:

8cVqkqCh.jpg

TyEGA1ch.jpg

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

• 3 weeks later...

So in between my job and ICUS (In Command Under Supervision) training, and getting into the groove of instrument flying in the real world instead of a training environment (you're visual when you get clear of cloud instead of when the instructor tells you you are.....and at night....lotsa fun!), I've managed to [almost] finish painting the basic colours on the engine.  I firstly painted SMS Black as the base coat, then painted the cylinders in Tamiya Flat Aluminium....almost, but not quite dry-brushing them.  Due to the way the engine is molded, aluminium paint got into lots of places I didn't want it to be, so the next step was removing it from them.  I thought about how best to do it - I could have simply painted black over it, but that would run the risk of the aluminium showing through the black, so instead, I wet a brush with methylated spirits and carefully removed the paint.  There are still a few places I need to go over, but so far, so good..

GF4xNnbl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

G'day folks....moving on to the next bits I want to paint...I have a few questions:

1. What, exactly, is the spidery-looking part?  Exhausts? Inlet manifold?

2. What is the best/simplest/quickest technique to paint it?

LoKKq1Gl.jpg

3. What is the best/simplest/quickest technique to paint these?

vV7cFLnl.jpg

32 minutes ago, Cap'n Wannabe said:

G'day folks....moving on to the next bits I want to paint...I have a few questions:

1. What, exactly, is the spidery-looking part?  Exhausts? Inlet manifold?

2. What is the best/simplest/quickest technique to paint it?

LoKKq1Gl.jpg

It is surprisingly difficult to find pictures of the back of a Bristol Mercury on the internet. They are manifolds, I'd guess inlet manifolds:

1114px-Bristol_Mercury.jpg

That's from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Mercury

Spray them, then drybrush some grot onto them

Richard

Jeez, I remember that comp, I won my district with a flower class corvette, won a puma helicopter and a tiger moth to build for the finals, I was all of 13, still have the completed moth, didgy build but proudly displayed in my cabinet