A Quick Watercolour Wash

PietvWdV

Give it a day to dry, or at least a few hours, and then seal it in with another coat or 2 of future! And that's it!

Thank you for looking, I hope this helps you get started towards finding your own way.

Happy modeling Jens! :D

that article with excellent pics is thoroughly helpful thanks Piet. My current washing technique is somewhat similar, but involves ground-up pastel chalk, but seeing as I only access to several dark colours of pastel, my colour range of washes is very limited. You've now opened my eyes to the possibilities of water colours inks as well, which will help no end. I shoulda thought of it myself, but it's good to know.

Thanks mate!

Ango.

Good effort Piet...I guess you're never short of guitar string oxygen hoses given your job.

I'd been using oils for washes but only in the last week or so have tried the water colours ( mainly after D's and MM's suggestions)...I think at this stage I'm finding it works much better and drys faster for me as well. Not as smelly as oils either.

Try though as I did I've been unable to achieve as glossy a finish as you have. The Tamiya acrylics leave a satin type finish...not as bad when using the Gunze Acrylic Semi-gloss...a little more glossy. We don't have future over here, only Pledge. One day I'll procure some Future to do a comparo...the pledge is pretty whiffy as well...need ventilation or likely to start writing like Jimmi Hendrix.

Do you ever use any detergent to decrease surface tension of the wash itself?

Cheers Matt

Hi Matt

Over here we dont have future either. We have "Mr Muscle". But if it says "future" somewhere on the can it's future, and yes it is whiffy :D Ours here are even scented. I prefer spring fresh although potpourri is growing on me.

I suggest grabbing the pledge and doing some experiments, you may be pleasantly surprised. I was very skeptical about Mr Muscle when my wife found it for me, but it surpassed all my expectations.

I brush it on and spread it thinly, but when wet it still looks too thick. Just wait for it to dry it almost dissapears. You can easily do 5 or 6 coats of future right without losing too much detail. The more coats you add, the glossier it becomes. If you put it directly over a matt surface it steals some of the matt, but this diminishes as you add coats.

I have found very shiney coats to be bad for watercolours, as they just wont stick. Sort of satiny seems better. For my waterwashes I now do only two coats of future,and since I use future to set decals, I also dont have to fully gloss up to avoid silvering.

I dont thin future or add anything. When airbrushing I clean the brush with windolene (windex, the blue stuff). I also use this to remove future if needed. When I spray I very rarely find the future making drops (too high surface tension). I then use a soft brush to just brush it down and this works fine.

As for the wash itself, I dont know the detergent trick, and would like to try it. Can you explain mor?

As for the wash itself, I dont know the detergent trick, and would like to try it. Can you explain mor?

Cool mate...I'll fumble through my links to see if I can find the exact place. All I can recall was that some guy had been adding a tiny bit of detergent to his washes ( not the dishes kind) to encourage it to flow along the smooth surface rather than puddle or require you to make a brush stroke down the panel line.

Still like you say...varying the saturation of the wash along the length of the panel line is probably more realistic and interesting to look at.

Oh...my kingdom for some scented future...the Pledge is definitely an anti-floor cleaning product. I'm sure its based on mustard gas or something equallly toxic.

cheers Matt

Cool mate...I'll fumble through my links to see if I can find the exact place. All I can recall was that some guy had been adding a tiny bit of detergent to his washes ( not the dishes kind) to encourage it to flow along the smooth surface rather than puddle or require you to make a brush stroke down the panel line.

Still like you say...varying the saturation of the wash along the length of the panel line is probably more realistic and interesting to look at.

Oh...my kingdom for some scented future...the Pledge is definitely an anti-floor cleaning product. I'm sure its based on mustard gas or something equallly toxic.

cheers Matt

Actually Matt, a teeny dab of dishsoap works just fine to 'relieve' the surface tension of water.

Mike

a

b

e

n

...also, you can use any clear goss coat to prep for washes and decals.

Doesn't have to be Future.

• 1 month later...