A Quick Watercolour Wash

PietvWdV

Hi Jens

Welcome to watercolor washes 101. This is they way I do it. There are many ways to do this but you will later find your own way. Here is a good place to start playing.

First, we will put a coat of future on the model. Here is what you need : I use the smaller brush for items like the landin gear, and the bigger one for the skin. They are very soft brushes. Also you need some future (or what ever it is called in your country)

post-4-1133815671.jpg

In this picture the first coat of future is dry. If you model was painted in a matt paint, then the first coat or two of future will have this dull shine. You can now put another coat if you want.

When you ever want to start doing washes with oil paints, you will need more coats, but for me with watercolour I find one or two coats enough. The dull shine helps the watercolour stick.

For this excersise I only put one coat.

post-4-1133816477.jpg

After a few hours it is dry enough and we proceed. Here is the watercolours. I use two brushes. One bigger cheap watercolour brush (I got it with the watercolour set) and one small fine tip brush.

I also have some papertowel and cotonbuds and some water.

Brush your teeth or eat and apple before proceeding.

post-4-1133816789.jpg

Dont be afraid of my long fingernails! I play guitar for a living :D

You can then take a dry cottonbud and roll it over the lines you painted while they are still wet or a bit dryer, to remove some paint and get an effect you like.

post-4-1133818437.jpg