Montex mask problem?

Woody V

No its not. Its an issue that I refer to as "post cut-shrinkage" with Oramask 810.  The Oramask is put on huge rolls, and has some pre-shrunk tension to it. If the masks are cut way earlier than they are going to actually be used, heat and time can shrink the positive parts of the mask away from the negative parts.

Id give Montex a shout. 

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

No, no es. Es un problema al que me refiero como "encogimiento posterior al corte" con Oramask 810. El Oramask se pone en rollos enormes y tiene cierta tensión preencogida. Si las máscaras se cortan mucho antes de lo que realmente se van a usar, el calor y el tiempo pueden reducir las partes positivas de la máscara lejos de las partes negativas.

Le diría a Montex un grito. 

I take the thread to ask a quick question, what are the best masks or templates?

for example masks to be able to paint stars as the case of the OP

And there are templates to do the "no step" of modern jets? It would be the best replacement for decals.

For example (for a modern aircrafts)

aw001_1.jpg

Edited by Mel

31 minutes ago, Mel said:

I take the thread to ask a quick question, what are the best masks or templates?

for example masks to be able to paint stars as the case of the OP

And there are templates to do the "no step" of modern jets? It would be the best replacement for decals.

Hi Mel, if you want to avoid problems with vinyl masks you can still go with kabuki masks

nice desription of difference between 2 materials on Maketar Masks website

https://shop.maketar.com/?page_id=87

they have great selections of letters, numbers and insignias as well

HTH

jan

6 minutes ago, Jan_G said:

Hi Mel, if you want to avoid problems with vinyl masks you can still go with kabuki masks

HTH

jan

Thank you very much, I'm going to look at it, I was referring to some templates that were metallic and were for modern airplanes, I remember that they had the marks of not stepping on, the stars of the USAF, I remember that it was to replace the small decals, I remember it was a metal mesh, I saw it years ago, but I don't know where to find it (it was useful for the generic details of all modern airplanes)

Woody

this is not at all uncommon for vinyl masks

although it looks a bit rubbish, it does not always mean the masks are ready for the bin, and also depends a lot on how you use them

one of the main reasons I don't do the whole 'let's spray everything white first, and then add colours on top...' technique is that it avoids have cracks of an unwanted colour poking through

this technique works very well even on RAF 4 colour roundels, but needs good paint (I use MRP and have no issues)

If you want custom masks check out TopNotch Masks; they are willing to make some custom Luftwaffe numbers for JG27 Emils for me, so why not ask.

The main guy is Sean Middleton.

They are active on Facebook as well.

If not them, then try DN Masks, but I have only heard someone say they made a custom mask, but don't know a whole lot more about them.

Mel

Kabuki is excellent in that there is no shrinkage; it is also *far* superior in going over the odd bump or small compound curve - vinyl is rubbish for this I find

however, it is a lot more difficult to take bits of the masks off and replace etc

I think templates are a not possible to use (easily) on anything but a glass-flat surface, and since you never get this on a model (a 1/16 tank maybe??), I would say they are pretty useless for what you are after.

Right, I'll get back to watching the rugby now!

:)

3 hours ago, Jan_G said:

HTH

jan

In the end I found it, sorry to quote you for the second time, I will also look at the kabuki that you recommended to me

it's from eduard (i really didn't know it was theirs)

770_rd.gif

15 minutes ago, Mel said:

In the end I found it, sorry to quote you for the second time, I will also look at the kabuki that you recommended to me

it's from eduard (i really didn't know it was theirs)

Mel

I've tried these Eduard PE stencils and they work well. Be sure and spray at 90 degrees to the surface of the template.

Cheers,

D.B.

4 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Mel

I've tried these Eduard PE stencils and they work well. Be sure and spray at 90 degrees to the surface of the template.

Cheers,

D.B.

Thanks andrus, let's see if I can get it, but I will also investigate the ones Jan_G recommended