A good assembly jig?

1 hour ago, CATCplSlade said:

I didn't get a cake stand, but I did get a flat turntable when I started building armor years ago that managed to be large enough for most fighter-size aircraft. I have been thinking about the actual jigs but might take a stab at making my own.

I actually made a crap stand out of PVC pipe and coat hanger wire years ago but it lacked, shall we say, finesse.

That's a great idea, the lack of finesse would match my building technique.

I bought a large acrylic stand for assembling biplanes. Haven't taken it out of the box yet.

My first one was a Vertigo acrylic jig.  I used epoxy glue to assemble it.  If you get one of these, no matter what type of glue you use for assembly, I recommend roughing up the mating surfaces thoroughly, as my epoxy bonds failed on most of the assemblies.  Also watch how you pick it up.  The base of mine cracked in two when I picked it up one time.  I now use a wooden one I got from UMM, but I could probably do most of my assembly work without it.  I haven't tried using it while painting a model yet, so it might be more useful for that purpose.

I have one of the wooden ones and also thought that making all the adjustments with a screwdriver would be tedious.  I therefore replaced the trapped nuts with trapped bolts and secured the other ends with wingnuts, which speeds up adjustments and is also much less fiddly.

Having said that, continents move faster than I build so it doesn’t need adjusting that frequently....

3 hours ago, wmoran said:

My first one was a Vertigo acrylic jig.  I used epoxy glue to assemble it.  If you get one of these, no matter what type of glue you use for assembly, I recommend roughing up the mating surfaces thoroughly, as my epoxy bonds failed on most of the assemblies.  Also watch how you pick it up.  The base of mine cracked in two when I picked it up one time.  I now use a wooden one I got from UMM, but I could probably do most of my assembly work without it.  I haven't tried using it while painting a model yet, so it might be more useful for that purpose.

This is typically why I recommended UV glue to avoid such problems. Mine is rock solid! 

15 hours ago, ericg said:

You don’t need one! Save your money and spend it on other things. I had one a long time ago and found that I was better off without it and that it just got in the way.

i disagree

i have the Vertigo one for monoplanes - v similar to one pictured earlier but lacks the next level - and have found it super useful when building my Spitfire

problem is there is nothing out there that i know of which could do the same thing for a Heinkel 111...

18 hours ago, Ryan said:

El Hobby Zone uno es agradable.

31998155018_9f4c192cae_b.jpgZee Jig is Up por The 3rd Placer , en Flickr

31998155028_4136e99d26_b.jpgZee Jig is Up por The 3rd Placer , en Flickr

45031013495_26db8920f9_b.jpgAlbatros en Jig de The 3rd Placer , en Flickr

16 hours ago, petrov27 said:

Tengo el Vértigo comprado en UMM aquí:

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_162&products_id=7045

Tomó un poco de ensamblaje (usé pegamento para la lámina acrílica) pero eso no estuvo mal y funciona bien para biplanos

005_zpsdnsiowxk.jpg

9 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Sí, no consigas los de madera. Curiosamente son más caros que los acrílicos.

y son un dolor para golpear y armar. Además, consíguete una amazona barata

soporte de decoración de pasteles para ponerlo, ya que ayuda a girar las cosas al pintar

(algunas veces) .

hzIG22l.jpg

...y divertirse  :)

I just saw this thread and unaware of the existence of these tools, do you know where they can be bought in Europe? thank you very much guys

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Bueno, HZ (HobbyZone) es de Polonia, creo.

Thanks Ryan, 

Whenever I ask about stores in Europe, I want to make it clear that I have absolutely nothing against the USA, Japan, China or Russia, I love its people (I would also buy in the USA but the problem is our customs "friends") all that It does not come within the European Union and comes from international destinations, it is likely to be retained in customs if the package is very bulky and exceeds a specific amount of money, and it is a toothache to do the paperwork

What's more, now I am going to buy the Gtresin kits for the Phantom, and I hope that customs does not retain it

4 hours ago, nmayhew said:

i disagree

i have the Vertigo one for monoplanes - v similar to one pictured earlier but lacks the next level - and have found it super useful when building my Spitfire

problem is there is nothing out there that i know of which could do the same thing for a Heinkel 111...

I built my 111 using my PVC rig.

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

Mel the only downside to all Hobby Zone products is the assembly.

All of their sets are shipped flat packed.

Here is the link.

https://www.hobbyzone.pl/

Thank you very much, I did not know about the existence of these "furniture"

they look amazing

Thank you very much Ryan

I've always got by knocking something together with a few bits of foamboard and a scalpel and slotting them together. I draw the patterns in Illustrator and spraymount the printouts on for cutting guides. I also draw parallel and centre lines to aid alignment. This was invaluable when building Revell's 1/32 Lysander. A turntable from an old computer monitor stand competes the package. Having just built the 219, found loads of cheap washing up sponges helped cushion the model while working on it. The acrylic one above looks interesting though.

I also use the UMM acrylic jigs for assembly. But I also use them for transporting the models to shows or club meetings. I have had very good luck as I have always arrived with all parts intact. 

Jager