A good assembly jig?

I have three of their jigs and they certainly have their use. My main gripe with them is you have to use a screwdriver to make most adjustments, might be a minor thing to some but I I find it annoying. Other than that they're nice and their biggest one allows for some really big aircraft to be mounted. 

I've seen similar stands made from acrylic that also look interesting and are probably a bit more sturdy, don't remember the brand. 

I have both the wood and acrylic ones. Both are useful but I prefer the acrylic one as it is more stable. The other one is nice for smaller planes and typically WW1 biplanes. By the way, I highly recommend UV glue to assemble such acrylic stands. Last, avoid gluing stripes of rubber on the upper edges as sometimes recommended. Synthetic rubber is far more durable. 

I to still like my JH stand, but always found it a bit unstable with larger models. That is until I found out they made a larger one! I have always been using the 48th/32nd JH Models stand, but found out they made a 32nd/24th size stand, so I just ordered one from UMM. 

well I beg to differ on that but to each their own. I have found it very handy for planes with more than one wing, especially when fixing the top wing in place and rigging the dang things :)

I would gauge it less handy for single wing WW2 era or Jet/Modern but I still feel it has been useful to reduce the amount of handling I have to do late in the build....

35 minutes ago, Bill_S said:

I have two of the wooden JH jigs. I use them all the time. I glued cork gasket material on the support surfaces instead of the supplied rubber. I've found that they come in very handy when transporting models, too.

100% agreed. I've got two myself and my F7F is parked on one. And yes, transportation to shows or contests it works perfectly.

6 hours ago, curiouslysophie said:

Thanks for the advice! The acrylic ones look to be good. I need a larger one for planes like the 219 and 111.

Yeah don't get the wooden ones. Oddly they're more expensive than the acrylics

and they're a pain to punch out and assemble.  Also , get yourself a cheap amazon

cake decorating stand to put it on as it helps to spin things around when painting

(sometimes) .

hzIG22l.jpg

...and have fun  :)

I didn't get a cake stand, but I did get a flat turntable when I started building armor years ago that managed to be large enough for most fighter-size aircraft. I have been thinking about the actual jigs but might take a stab at making my own.

I actually made a crap stand out of PVC pipe and coat hanger wire years ago but it lacked, shall we say, finesse.

Edited by CATCplSlade